We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cana or Plata

Newfoundland
3 posts
Save Topic
Cana or Plata

I am going on my first trip outside the country to Dominican Republic in March...I have had so many people tell me so many things about Maliria, Flies, sickness, dark sand etc..now I am soooo confused about which side of the Island to book.

Can anyone help with my decision.

Happy in Newfoundland

nova scotia
Level Contributor
240 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cana or Plata

I guess it all in what you are looking for.

I like punta cana better ,as i am a beach person.

I stayed at bahia san juan pp and liked it, beach not as nice.

Also i would not want to stay in cabbret or souca in pp.

I have stayed in pc 4 times and going this year lots of great resorts to choose from.

I have stayed at majestic, edyn nh ,breezes and 5 or 6 years ago h10 .

I walked by h10 last year changed name but did not look good.

I am staying at barcelo pc this year good price,but not as nice as majestic or edyn.

alo punta cana is getting very bussy with all the large new resorts,i like smaller resorts.

we stayed at occodental grand cozmel small but great ,that was the one i liked the most.

Have fun

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cana or Plata

"Also i would not want to stay in cabbret or souca in pp"

Why wouldn't you want to stay in Cabarete? Cabarete is my favourite place in the Dominican Republic! Great restaurants & bars, friendly place & people and a kite surf mecca, which I never get tired of watching (and photographing!).

The north coast is practically malaria free (something like one case in five years) so no need to take antimalarial medication, although EVERYONE should familiarise them-self with the signs & symptoms of malaria and be aware of them, even if you take anti-malarial medication. The east coast has sporadic outbreaks of malaria. Still the risk is very low, especially if you are staying on a resort.

Sickness, I firmly believe that the vast majority of people who get sick do so because they 'over-indulge' as soon as they arrive at an 'all inclusive'. When we last stayed at an AI we played 'spot who you won't see later in the holiday' game. Sure enough, we'd pick out those people who gorged themselves silly on day one & two, then had diarrhoea on day three, four and five... I even warned someone that coconut cream is a natural laxative, but she carried on drinking pina-coladas all night, then had stomach cramp and the runs the following day... you can't tell some people!

The sand & sea are 'picture-postcard' white & blue if you go to Punta Cana. It is 'darker' in the north coast but not a problem to the millions who go back there each year.

Newfoundland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cana or Plata

Thank you thank you...I think we may go with the occodental one..it looks beautiful.. What about Malaria,,,any worries about catching it there and your message was very informative. Have a nice day

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cana or Plata

Hello,

Although your doctor can offer the best advice, I was told by my health centre (in the UK) that malaria was not a problem in the main areas of DR.

I've only been to the DR once and like you when I booked I didn't know which area to choose. Lots of help from T.A.

In the end the decision was made by £ - the north resorts were cheaper and we got a briliant deal at the Iberostar in Costa Dora.

By the way dark sand isn't a problem - any more than dark rather than blonde hair is a problem. It is still soft, warm and lovely bewtween your toes, and beats snow any day of the week.

5. Re: Cana or Plata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 11:22