We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

shropshire
1 post
Save Topic
money

Is it better to take us dollars or dominican pasos

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

We took one dollar bills for tips and also $30 each for the tourist card and exit tax. (They only accept $)

The rest we used the ATM machines and got DRP.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

I only take $30 for the airport taxes and the rest in pesos. If you go to shops and restaurants in town you get your change in pesos so I find it easier just to work in pesos but I know some prefer just to take dollars especially if staying in A/I's.

sam

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

I take $ as tips becuase the smallest DRP note is 50 DRP (about £1) and we found that they are really difficult to get hold of.

One Dollar bills (about 70p) are easier to order over here in the UK.

If we can get 50 DRP notes then we take the $ back for our next trip.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
84 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

Probably a daft question, but i'm finding it difficult as to which currency to take.

If we take dollar travellers cheques can we get dollars from a bank to pay for trips etc or would they give pesos?

Or should i just take GBP travellers cheques?

Very confusing.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

YorkshireFunky,

If you take traveller cheques either ££or$$ you will get an even worse exchange rate.

The best way to take money to DR from the U.K. is $US for your tourist card and departure tax as only $$ are payable.And take your debit card and use atm to get your pesos but inform your bank so they dont block your card.Or just take ££ in cash.

Changing GBP to $US then onto pesos looses you too much money in exchange.If you pay in $US you will get the change in pesos, there by you will get very confused day to day what the exchange rates are and you will loose out in the end.

Angie.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
84 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money

Thanks for that. So I will now just get enough dollars for tips etc and airport fees.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money

why not just take US$30 for entry & exit, then tip in pesos? The locals who you tip in dollars will have to exchange them in to pesos before they can spend them anyway!

8. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 06:22