We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican Republic Question

iom
13 posts
Save Topic
Dominican Republic Question

Hi Guys

Me and my brother are thinking of coming to dom public for a couple of weeks round aug

Just wondered if someone can tell me if the weather is ok at that time of year and also where is the main place to stay as in terms of bars/clubs/resterunts ect

we are both in are ealry 30's if that makes any difference ha ha

Also is it relativly safe ? we have both travelled a lot ie philipines/thailsnd/hk and loads in europe he has also been st martins/kits

Thansk for your help

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican Republic Question

Hi there,

Weather perfect normally in August; its the height of summer so hot hot hot but also normally nice and breezy.

The town with the most choice in terms of restaurants is Cabarete for sure; the beach in lined with them and its a great place to east and people-watch right on the sand. After 11pm, many of the restaurants turn into good clubs.

The best deals appear to be incl. flight to A.I. resorts (all-inclusives) and there are three in Cabarete; Viva Wyndham Tangerine, Tropical Casa Laguna and Villa Taina. However, from the UK I know that it's possible to get quite good deals on charter flights only, especially at the last minute, so it might be worth considering arranging your own flight and accommodation for better choice. Yes, the DR is a safe place and friendly too.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican Republic Question

GoGapSport,

Are you sure Villa Taina offers AI? I could find no reference to it on their website.

Gregg

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican Republic Question

Toad29, your location being "iom"... would that be as in "Isle of Man"? A bit like the "iom" in "iom_keith"?

Either way, I agree that Cabarete is a great spot for people of your age. Dominican Republic is certainly much safer than the Philipines! With the places that you've travelled to, you'll have no problem in Cabarete.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican Republic Question

Cab is a great base, you have Sosua up the raod, although not as nice as Cab, but if you behave yourself a great night out.

Cab is a lot more chilled and please just leave the drugs alone if you enter Sosua, you will end up in serious trouble by the end of the night. Street workers and police are working together now so beware, even the word can link you to all sorts of nightmares, buying the crap will end up in regrets.

Not that you would, I've just witnessed a few very strange occurrances lately that really didn't deserve the conclusion that resulted in a few guys just having a laugh and enjoying a vacation, shame.

Enjoy it, you will have a great time!!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican Republic Question

Hi Gregg, in a post a few weeks ago, I said that only Viva was available as an A.I. but I was corrected and told that Villa Taina was also A.I; I will ask the the owner though to double check.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,926 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican Republic Question

As far as I know, Villa Taina is not an AI, but offers a meal plan that you can purchase. Ocean Manor is also an AI.

If Toad29 is asking about restaurants/bars, he may not be interested in an AI. Given his and his brother's age and length of stay, they may also want to keep in mind that AIs don't allow you to bring visitors in.

Silvia

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominican Republic Question

Given that Cabarete is such a GREAT town, I wish more people could easily check their options before booking AI accommodation; the town has superb restaurants for all budgets, good hotels for all budgets, great nightlife and it's very safe.......maybe it's the ease of booking AI that appeals or perhaps the difficulty of booking charter flights without accommodation. Is there a good website for Canadians to be able to check availability for flight only - anybody know?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominican Republic Question

Here is the response from Villa Taina's owner, Claudia this afternoon;

Hotel Villa Taina’s philosophy has always been to offer a meal plan that allows people to still enjoy the vast choices of international Restaurants in Cabarete and its vivid night life!

We are NOT an All inclusive Hotel, yet we do offer meal plans to accommodate our guests.

Our prices include breakfast buffet and for a reasonable supplement we offer half pension (breakfast and Lunch OR Dinner, drinks not included).

This way our guests can still go out to the great nearby Restaurants or eat at our Beach front Restaurant Serenade (we offer different Theme nights per week at a reasonable price).

Thanks for recommending Villa Taina and lots of regards!

Claudia

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominican Republic Question

For Canadians looking for charter flights - check WestJet (flies to Puerto Plata, La Romana & Punta Cana, but might only fly during "high" season. Same for other Canadian Charters. Check Air Transat and Air Canada. Also web sites like itravel2000.com or flightcentre.ca might help with flight only arrangements.

Storm 8-)

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dominican Republic Question

Other options include CO through EWR, B6 through JFK, AA through JFK or MIA or SJU, DL through ATL, NK through FLL...

Some fly out of Canadian cities and others fly to border towns within a reasonable distance.

And there may be others.

Gregg