We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe in Dominican Republic

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Safe in Dominican Republic

Hello ,

I have read travel books about Dominican REpublic has the highest robbery, theft etc. rate among all the Caribbean islands. Is it true? Do I need to concern about that?

Thanks

Agent Cody Boy

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,500 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe in Dominican Republic

We are regular visitors to the Dom. Rep and find it very safe, have had no trouble with getting out and about.You just have to take the same precautions as what you would do at home. Dont wear lots of expensive jewellery and dont flash your cash around.Use taxis to get yourself from A-B at night.

You will be fine if you follow those simple rules.

Angie.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe in Dominican Republic

In answering your question, I checked some recent statistics that showed that Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and Haiti and Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) have the highest growth rate of crime right now, most of it related to drugs trafficking. As a rule, the crime rate in the Caribbean is rising. However, as a tourist in the Dominican Republic, you are very unlikely to be affected by a robbery. The tourist areas are very well controlled by specially appointed tourist police and there would appear to be very few reports of tourists becoming victims of crime here. Conversely, the Dominicans are a very friendly people and can be great fun to be around. When you are anywhere in the World, follow sensible precautions. My worst holiday experience was in Barbados regarding crime and I have lived here in the Dominican Republic safely for a few years now with young children and would not do that if I did not feel it to be a safe place. Lets face it, there are parts of New York and London where I would not dare to go.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe in Dominican Republic

Agree 100% with Angie. Which travel books have said this? I'm interested in whether they are 'main stream' travel books, such as Lonely Planet, because I've never heard this mentioned in travel books before.

I use public transport, I've travelled from Cabarete to Santiago & Santo Domingo on my own, despite not being able to speak any Spanish.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe in Dominican Republic

I am very happy to hear that. I wonder if Punta Cana has any sight seeing or interesting towns to go besides water activities and hotel entertainment? I like to see some local culture and stuffs, will I be able to find that there?

Thanks again

Cody Boy

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe in Dominican Republic

Best to post this specific question again on the Punta Cana forum.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe in Dominican Republic

I havent read the entire thread so forgive me for repeating anything.

The crime rate is rising, the robberies are rising, the murders are rising, and the corruption is always rising.

As a tourist you do not become a part of this. These things are not involving tourists, tourists are like gold and anyone touching a tourist is in danger from other locals for worrying the tourists. So no worries on your side of the visit.

Yes it is getting a bit crazy around the coastals as people are reacting to the lack of money. But is is all internal. Nothing for you to worry about!

Have a good holiday, you will be looked after and have a good time.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe in Dominican Republic

If you use the normal precautions you would when traveling anywhere you should do fine.

Also many resorts and resort reps will tell you it is dangerous to leave the "compound" unless of course you are on one of thier tours. In this case think $$$$$ they want your bucks and want you to use the tours. Getting out and about is just fine again ir you use your head.

BObK

8. Re: Safe in Dominican Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 08:17