We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

Russia
14 posts
Save Topic
Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

Dear All,

Please be aware that there is case of infection by H1N1 in Punta Cana. One our collegues went back from Punta Cana with this infection.

Better to think 100 times before you go. I have decided not to go there.

I am not sure that Punta Cana hotel'doctors know what to do in case of this situation

Have a good vacation to everyone.

regards?Aidar

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

If there has been an incident recorded in DR, it is not being shown by the World Health Organisation. The WHO supply the figures to the BBC...

…bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021547.stm

And if there is one incident in DR, that is still many times less than the 5,764 in the USA today or 112 in the UK, so I wouldn't have to "think 100 times" before going to DR right now, especially as the H1N1 flu is not particularly virulent (at least, no more than regular flu).

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

I defenetelly believe that misinformation or lack of information, isn't as bad as GIVING wrong informations....

I have a friend who'd the doctor reporting all suspicious cases in the East area to the Health departament, and the infectolocy departament in DR.

Even though there are a few suspicious cases reported, none of them have been confirmed and their tests have been negative. (tests are being sento to Atlanta)

In the othe hand, yesterday was a bad day in santo Domingo, as two suspisious cases were reportesd on two children studets of CARON MORgAN (The Top American School in DR) and I know from first hand that the american embassy forced the School Principal to hand the information to both parents and Press.

The cases proved some sort of influenza A, but were negative for influenza AN1H1

www.listin.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=102472

The web page of the school shows this today:

http://www.cms.edu.do/tmsPUBLISHER/

Also, a two year old, student of Bambino school, died under suspicious contitions and last nigh they were performing an autopsy to reaveal if it was for the influenza or something else.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

Aidar, I can guarantee you that the Hotel Doctor, KNOWS PERFECTLY that if he has a suspicious case of some sort of flu, he only has to call the CLINIC and the clinic will automatic proceed to do tests and contact infectplocy.

By the way, this weekend a Russian guy REJECTED violently to any tests to be performed on him and left the country, and because of his behaviour, from now on tests will be mandatory on any person suspected to hace any symtoms of flue. (Info handed from my doctor friend)

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

NOT AGAIN

It was bad enough that Mexico got "hammered" With all the scare mongering about H1N1, now it seems someone is intent on putting the DR through the same thing.

It's not as bad as first thought, no worse than a normal flu.

Let's not start the whole process off again.

Give us a break!!

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

Mark my words.

The minute NOVARTIS launches the influenza AN1H1 vaccine (any time now), the WHO will raise worldide the alert to #6, which is the top on the scale...

Not worse than a normal flue is correct.

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

Hi Folks

Took this off the W.H.O Just now.

Now PLEASE can we stop the Hysteria.

Travel

7 May 2009 (updated from 1 May 2009)

Is it safe to travel?

Yes. WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the influenza A(H1N1) virus. Today, global travel is commonplace and large numbers of people move around the world for business and leisure. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.

Influenza A(H1N1) has already been confirmed in many parts of the world. The global response now focuses on minimizing the impact of the virus through the rapid identification of cases, and providing patients with appropriate medical care, rather than on stopping its spread internationally.

Although identifying signs and symptoms of influenza in travellers can help track the path of the outbreak, it will not reduce the spread of influenza, as the virus can be transmitted from person to person before the onset of symptoms.

Scientific research based on mathematical modelling shows that restricting travel would be of limited or no benefit in stopping the spread of disease. Historical records of previous influenza pandemics, as well as experience with SARS, validate this.

Does WHO recommend screenings at country entry and exit points to detect if ill people are travelling?

No. We do not believe entry and exit screenings would work to reduce the spread of this disease. However country-level measures to respond to a public health risk are the decision of national authorities, under the International Health Regulations 2005.

Countries that adopt measures that significantly interfere with international traffic (e.g. delaying an airplane passenger for more than 24 hours, or refusing country entry or departure to a traveller) must provide WHO with the public health reasoning and evidence for their actions. WHO will follow up with all of its Member countries on such matters.

Travellers should always be treated with dignity and respect for their human rights.

How can I protect myself from influenza A(H1N1) when I am travelling?

People who are ill should delay travel plans. Returning travellers who become ill should contact their health care provider.

Travellers can protect themselves and others by following simple prevention practices that apply while travelling and in daily life

So Lets Relax And Enjoy Life Again

Happy Hols

Sparky

Russia
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

Monica,

Thanks for your notes, I will take it into accound and think.

Russia
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

Dear All,

Thanks for all your notes. It was very usefull to know your opinion and outlook to this situations.

Regards,Aidar

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

WORLD HEALTH ORG. This will give you the details as to where the H1Ni has spread:

www.who.int/csr/don/2009_06_10a/en/index.html

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
450 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very argent- Punta Cana- there is virus H1N1

i think if we all listen to the news and illness that are going round we would all lock our selves in our homes and never go out!!! i am off to dom rep next month and mexico in sept, and will not let flu going round stop me going and having fun, i for one will not live in a bubble!!!