We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

I'm posting this under the Dominican forum because it seems the most active, but this question goes out to the entire Caribbean. What is the best all inclusive resort for snorkeling on property?

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

Snorkelling on property??

Not sure what that means

Hartford...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

I am looking for a resort where there is great snorkeling without leaving the hotel property.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

Hola Giventime!

My FAV snorkeling is at Dreams LaRomana! Some great reef right off the beach!

Here is a little info album I have showing the map of the resort and more you may enjoy:

good-times.webshots.com/album/550289892IcWuFH

I have also stayed at Dreams Punta Cana and Dreams Palm Beach and enjoyed my time there...BUT for snorkeling Dreams La Romana wins my vote every time!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

If you enter the water or even the beach in the Republic you are on public property. None of the beaches in the Republic are private, although yes, some are more private than others.

In short Sosua has the best reputation for Snorkelling.

Look at the Casa Marina Reef, they have a very private beach and you are enclosed on one of the beaches to a certain degree.

I hate the sea and so can't tell you what's down there as I have no intention over going in above my ankles.

We get very good reports and have lots and lots of snorkelling and diving people around, so I presume it is as good as they say.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG3QUk4PNFI

found this for you, looks pretty badly done to me but looks like there is life down there. Have a look at the other scuba films to see better quality and what's there.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

I agree that Dreams La Romana has the best from the beach snorkeling in the country. I've been watching this question for 5 years and am not convinced that there's better elsewhere, in combination with location and quality of hotel, things to do in the area, general water activities and ability to get there easily. I too have an album of pictures taken from the "hotel reefs" as well as a marked up aerial picture showing my favourite locations which are a bit different from those of others. It's all posted at outdoors.webshots.com/album/279730537QeaRsf

Once at the hotel, there are a few snorkeling excursions that can be taken. My preferred is to CatalinITA Island, followed by an excursion that stops at Canton de la Playa on Saona Island (but not the main beach, where you'll see nothing more than you saw at the hotel), and then Catalina Island. Pictures of those excursions are posted with my albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/kaki333, including a dozen albums of the Dreams hotel itself and the surrounding area. If you opt out of excursions and choose to snorkel at the hotel exclusively, it can certainly be done. People see different things in the morning and afternoon and from one day to the next.

Depending on when you go, you'll have greater or worse luck with clear waters so if you end up there during the rainy season, you'd want to bear that in mind.

Kaki

Suburbs of Philly
Level Contributor
294 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

Consider me the third vote for Dreams La Romana. I love snorkeling there because they have fish right off of the shore and they provide the snorkeling equipment. Good luck with your decision!

Mississauga,Ontario
Level Contributor
397 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

I don't swim, so it stands to reason that I certainly don't snorkle, BUT I am rather observant, and while sitting in the jacuzzis at Casa Marina, I noticed that quite a few people snorkleing and like it was already mentioned you don't have to go off resort to do either.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

madfordr, I say that I don't swim too, but I do snorkel! I don't call the "stroke" that I do when floating on the surface being a voyeur of the underwater world any form of swimming, but it's enough to get the job done!

Kaki

10. Re: Where is the best resort for snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 06:18