We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DR Departure TAX

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
DR Departure TAX

Having read the Dominican Embassy website and other sites via google, it says that some airlines actually include the departure tax within the overall holiday price.

Also I need to know , If the departure tax is not included then can I purchase before i leave the uk?

PLease though, before saying no reason to as SD airport runs smoothly, I have been before and was queueing for ages as no-one knew how to fill in properly .

I am taking the choice this time to apply to the dominican ebassy in London for a tourist card to avoid the queues upon entry, below is details on how to apply ; Tourist Cards are available at the Consular Section of the Embassy of the Dominican Republic at a cost of £10.00.

Tourist Cards may be obtained by sending by post the following documents:

• Photocopy of passport (pages containing personal details and photo).

• Postal Order or Banker’s Draft for £10.00, made payable to the Embassy of the Dominican Republic. WE DO NOT ACCEPT PERSONAL CHEQUES.

• Self addressed stamped envelope (size A5).We regret we will not be able to send Tourist Cards if a pre-paid envelope is not included.

The Embassy of the Dominican Republic cannot be held liable for the loss or damage of any document entrusted to the postal service.

Anyone else wishing to do so , can copy and paste the following link into your browser :

www.dominicanembassy.org.uk/Touristcard.html, or call the Dominican Embassy on 09065 508 945

Whilst it will cost £10 sterling (approx $16US) I think well worth it to avoid any queues. MY OWN OPINION THOUGH

Northants
Level Contributor
72 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DR Departure TAX

hi, just an update to your message, you can now buy the tourist cards online from the dominican embassy, so you dont even need to send anything off anymore. with regards to the departure tax, i think most UK tour operators dont include the departure tax in the price of the holiday, so you will need to get it at the airport. i hevent heard of any way to get it in advance. Although from what i remember you just go to a booth in the airport, pay your $20 and they stamp your boarding card and away you go. it shouldnt be too much hassle.

regards Emma

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DR Departure TAX

Hi Emma,

Is that right about not having to send anything to the embassy - as it still shows on their website to send copies of all passports and an A5 ssae for return.

Regards

niallj1

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
39,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DR Departure TAX

nj,

Facts you have posted are incorrect of how to obtain Tourist Card from the Dom Rep Embassy. Payment is done all online and no photocopies of personal details of passport are needed anymore.

Angie.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DR Departure TAX

nj,

Here is the link for payment of Tourist Cards.

dominicanembassy.org.uk/touristpurchase.php

Angie.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DR Departure TAX

I am only going on what it says on the DR embassy website,

nj

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DR Departure TAX

Angie,

Many thanks for putting me straight, i only wrote what i saw on the embassy website.

Thanks again

nj

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DR Departure TAX

nj,

No problem, you just forgot to read under the piece you have posted it does state.

"You can now purchase your Tourist Cards online.

Purchase your Tourist Card Now!"

Where you can click on 'Purchase your Tourist Card Now!' and away you go.

Angie.

newark, new jersey
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: DR Departure TAX

I buy my tourist card at Newark Airport so I don't have to wait on line when I get to POP, (where I check in my bags)and i have the whole flight to fill it out.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DR Departure TAX

costa,

I think what you are saying about 'whole flight to fill it out.' on the plane you are referring to the Blue Immigration form, not the Tourist Card, there is nothing to fill in on the tourist card. See this link of a tourist card and Immigration form.

www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/visa.html

Plus when arriving at your Dom Rep airport you now have to fill in a new white customs form.

Also on departing the Dom Rep you have fill in another Blue Immigration form and white Customs form.

Angie.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DR Departure TAX

Departure tax is never included in any UK flights and can't be purchased in advance.

Also, for anyone who has never been before, it is only ever paid once through passport control, never before. A scam that comes up from time to time is for a 'smart looking' gentleman to 'assist' disorientated looking passengers and then relieve them of their tax. I witnessed a very angry woman who was refusing to pay her tax "again" because someone had taken it off her after she'd checked in! (I think the guys with guns probably won the argument eventually!)