We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort for a group of college students

Halifax,NS
13 posts
Save Topic
Best resort for a group of college students

Hi all,

My friends and I are planning a trip for after exams, we are all 20 or 21 and would like to find a resort that is young people friendly. We went to cuba last year and had a blast, we're looking to check out the Dominican Republic during the first week of may. Any recommedations would be great!

Thanks,

-jt

Halifax,NS
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort for a group of college students

anyone?

Gallipolis, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort for a group of college students

I would post to either Punta Cana or Puerta Plato forums, and get advice from each forum on resorts. Not many people seem to check the Dominican Republic Forum, but instead go to those specific forums.

Gallipolis, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort for a group of college students

I can tell you a little about Puerta Plato and Punta Cana, though. From the research I have done, both places are nice for different things.

Puerta Plata is on the North Coast. The beaches are not as nice as Punta Cana, but are still lovely. They have golden sand beaches instead of white. Kite and wind surfing are huge nearby in Carabete. Puerta Plata offers a lot more to do outside of the resort, so if you're looking to escape this is the place. If you look at the things to do, you would probably enjoy the waterfalls tour, where you climb and swim down a bunch of waterfalls. There is a cable car and you're based near Puerta Plata, Carabeta, and some other cities.

Punta Cana has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. It is all white sand. It is pretty isolated on the East Coast, so it is not as easy to see the real Dominican lifestyle, although there are tours to take you a few hours away. The resorts are newer here, and a little pricier. If you're going to stay on resort and enjoy the all-inclusive benefits, this is probably the place to go.

Just as a heads up, several of the resorts I looked at had a "no spring break" policy and didn't allow those under 21 to attend without an adult. Make sure you check into the resort. The no spring break policy is to discourage binge drinking and all day partying and public intoxication. I'd look into a adults only hotel, as many in the DR are very family friendly and LOTS of kids.

Halifax,NS
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort for a group of college students

Thanks a lot for the help!

5. Re: Best resort for a group of college students

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 06:21