We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

US
1 post
Save Topic
Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

Would appreciate input from anyone who travelled to DR last week or is going this week, on whether it's safe in terms of increased airport traffic in the DR, or possible aftershocks, or chaos/riots/anger from Haitian refugees in the DR? I don't see any warnings regarding travel to DR on the US Embassy websites but still have concern. Planning to leave next Sunday for Punta Cana, which I know is several hundred miles from Haiti, but just wondering if anyone has heard of any travel warnings to DR in general, or had any experiences? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Haiti
Haiti
Caribbean
Suffolk
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

I too am due to travel to Punta Cana with a young family, this morning I was watching the news and have seen the desperation among the Haitis trying to get anywhere rather than be in the Hell where they are now. They are using any means possible, foot, boat etc and are getting across the border into DR. These people are crazy with grief and panic and are desperate to survive by any means, which is what anyone of us would do and the most logical solution would be to get to the holiday resorts of DR with all their luxury hotels and all inclusive buffet. My personal opinion is change your holiday if you can, it will only be a matter of time before the Embassy's will stop travel there because of riots etc. I am not a selfish person and I understand all the reasons why DR needs our tourist $ but at the moment I am thinking about our own safety.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,137 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

boro46

You are SO wrong and totally ignorant of the situation here. Posts like yours does nothing but create the panic you are writing about. You should have the facts before you post an erronous post like this.

The fact:

THERE IS NO MASS EXODUS of haitians to the DR. The DR has essentially closed the border allowing lots of supplies and volunteer workers INTO Haiti and only injured Haitians in to the DR for treatment at hospiitals at and being set up at the border.

There are no Haitians flocking to the resorts or any other area in the DR.

Other the relief efforts here by local Dominicans and Expats you would never know there was such a disaster in our neck of the woods.

So to those that are traveling it is perfectly safe and the resorts are "running normally.

BObK

Mentioned in this post
Haiti
Haiti
Caribbean
England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

Hello boro46

You mention that" the most logical solution would be to get to the holiday resorts of DR with all their luxury hotels and all inclusive buffet. "

The average annual wage of a Haitian is about $700, which is about what a week's stay in an AI costs. I wonder why you would think that the AI resorts are going to be full of Haitians?

Southampton
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

To all, im with boro46, why take the risk.............my wife and I are due to fly to DR on the 26th to stay in Punta cana,but im trying to find alternative holidays,if it does all kick off out there I want to be well away.......and obviously anyone living in DR isnt going to tell us its bad because they dont want us to stay away for obvious reasons......my heart goes out to the haitians,and I hope things get sorted out for them as soon as but I have four children that will be at home waiting for our safe return and Im still not convinced that DR can guarantee that.

Edited: 17 January 2010, 15:45
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

Oh dear ~ to all you misguided people out there, all I can say is that if we were in DR now in an AI hotel, we would gladly give up our luxurious accommodation if it should be needed by an injured / dying person from Haiti. This (by the way ) as Bob and Sheila have already said, is not likely to happen. So lets show some human spirit here and continue with your holiday as it will not be affected by this.

Mentioned in this post
Haiti
Haiti
Caribbean
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,137 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

DelboyzSouthampton and Boro

You are right. Please stay home!

BObK

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
41,944 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

As xenophobe has stated how can some people be so misguided, where are these people getting this information from....................probably news coverage which is incorrect !!!

If people feel this way I totally agree with BobK just stay at home..................but what a lovely vacation people will be missing out on.

All to your own.

Angie.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

I hope I'm wrong and what I've seen with my eyes (all be it thru news channels) is false but I believe it's a case of watch this space......oh and xenophobe I may be an over cautious person but I am not a selfish one - all I am saying is that I wouldn't want to be in that situation in the first place. And to the rest of you, if you can honestly say that you can guarantee that there will be no effects on DR then I believe YOU are the misguided ones.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

Maybe you should take a quick history lesson on the island of Hispaniola.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to travel to the DR in the wake of Haiti earthquakes?

history is all fine and dandy thank you very much - does not have much relevance to whats happening now though.