We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to DR

cambridge
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to DR

Hi

My husband and I are thinking about going to DR in June for our tenth wedding anniversay. We have never been before and have been reading the reviews, they are also very mixed, also Americans seem very negative about it, is it that bad? We have been on hols to India, Gambia & Kenya so are are used to 'slumming it' but this one has got us worried!! Can anyone reassure us and wheres the best place to go?? Thanks

michgan
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to DR

Hi,

I've benn to DR several times and I love it. I think it all depends on what your expectations are. A lot of poeple have negative input because they get sick or they don't get the attention they want from staff. I think Dominican poeple are great and friendly. I have a little web site about my trips to Punta Cana and Cabarete (a work in progress).

Check it out: www.travel-dominicanrepublic.com

If you have any questions you can e-mail me. Good luck and I say give it a try.

COSTA DEL SOL
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to DR

I have been there three times now and I find the people very friendly. They do not have much, but, are all hard workers and proud of their country. The resorts are really nice and standards good. Beaches are out of this world.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to DR

Having been to India, Gambia & Kenya, you'll have no problem in the Dominican Republic. I'd recommend Cabarete and not going All Inclusive. There are many great places to eat in Cabarete, both on the beach and off it. I've travelled to China, Vietnam, Cuba & Thailand as well as many visits to Dom Rep and I'd say that Dominican Republic is one of the easiest to visit without using an organised tour. Learn a few basic Spanish phrases and you will be fine.

If you do decide to 'do your own thing', Thomson & Thomas Cook both do flight only from Manchester & Gatwick. Thomson is the better & more reliable. Manchester is usually cheaper than Gatwick, sometime substantially.

4. Re: Newbie to DR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 05:17