We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency should I take to Dominican Republic?

england
Level Contributor
102 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Which currency should I take to Dominican Republic?

We are from the UK and are staying in the Sirenis Cocotal and need to know whether we should use US Dollars or Dominican pesos while we are there? We are on all inclusive but expect to need some cash for tips, excursions etc.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency should I take to Dominican Republic?

US dollars are accepted everywhere - you may get change in Dominican pesos.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which currency should I take to Dominican Republic?

If you are coming from the UK the only reason to take US$, apart from entry/exit taxes is because a lot of people find a one dollar bill to be a reasonable amount for tips. Coins are very difficult to exchange. Other than that, you just lose out by exchanging from pounds to dollars.

You can withdraw pesos directly from an ATM while there or exchange pounds directly to pesos. I don't know if there is a reputable cambio near your hotel because I don't know that area, but in Cabarete I can exchange for a better rate than I can in the UK.

3. Re: Which currency should I take to Dominican Republic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 05:17