We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Resort Please

Wimborne, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Which Resort Please

Dear all

We are looking to book our first Caribbean holiday soon.

Due to finances we are looking at Dominican Republic as we believe this is the most affordable (please correct me if i am wrong!).

As this is all new to me (and it has been left to me to research!) I was hoping for a bit of advice.

We would like to stay in a resort where there are plenty of excursions available, and obviously would like to be close to the nicest beach possible!! The nice beach would be very high on our list of musts as this would be one of the main reasons for going there!!

So, any advice please would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

LMM

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Resort Please

"Due to finances...

...obviously would like to be close to the nicest beach possible!!"

You're kind of asking a contradictory question.

The east coast (Punta Cana/Bavaro) are easily the best beaches.

The north coast (Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete) is far cheaper.

As you are beach lovers, then without a doubt head east. Newer resorts, better food, beautiful turquoise sea, so if you can afford it, go.

But... The second time we went to Dom Rep it was to an All Inclusive resort on the north coast after a previous visit (where we got married) in Bavaro. The first couple of days we were disappointed. Then I asked my wife, would you like two-two week holidays on the north coast or one-two week holiday on the east coast each year? Simple answer and we've not been to the east coast since.

So in short, the north coast offers excellent value for money with decent beaches. East coast offers top quality and superb beaches but at a much higher price.

Wimborne, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Resort Please

Thanks for your response iom_keith - i kind of thought that may be the case! At least we know now so we can decide on our priority!

Thanks again

LMM

england
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Resort Please

If you're not too fussed about booking a particular hotel. You can get some vey good last minute deals. Thomsons do a leave in the next 6 weeks late deal...

Have seen some really good bargains on there.

Sparky

4. Re: Which Resort Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 07:23