We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What resort town is best for us based on certain criteria?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
What resort town is best for us based on certain criteria?

My family and I have been to Mexico (usually Mazatlan) about a dozen times over the last ten years. We want to try the Dominican Republic. Can someone narrow what town is best for us in the DR based on the following criteria:

1. Great beach. We like to swim in the ocean and snorkel.

2. Great restaurants. We do not like all inclusive. We like to explore local restaurants and prefer the ability to walk to different restaurants. We love restaurants on the beach if possible.

3. Family friendly. I have a 14 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. We do not like "sping break" type resort towns where there is too much partying going on but we love happy hours.

4. A town to walk into or a short cab ride away? I don't like being stuck in one resort so the ability to go into "town" for shopping, restaurants, emerse ourselves in the local culture would be great.

5. Nice resorts. We like resorts that have great pools, fun poolside bars and fun activities for the whole family.

6. Stuff to do on the beach and closeby like renting wave runners/jet skis, zip lines, sunset cruises.

7. Fishing. Not very important but a day either deep sea or bottom fishing would be great.

Any input would be great and then after we choose the town I will work on the actual resort.

england
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What resort town is best for us based on certain criteria?

Hi there

Most of the Beaches in the Bavaro area are great. ( East coast )

Cortecito would be the best as far as getting out & about...

There are a few good restaurants in the area.

Immersing youselves in the Local Culture is not really an option as most of the area is geared up for tourists. The only time you'll see Local culture is on a tour of some description.

The tourist areas are not the sort of place where you can walk along the beach and see "Locals" getting on with life.It's just Hotels, Bars, Plazas, Restaurants and beach Vendors.

Spring Breakers tend to avoid the Higher end of the Market..So the more the Hotel charges the less the chance of Spring Breakers..

Bayahibe (South of the Island ) is also another option. Never been myself but know people that have & they all had great things to say about the area.

And there is Sosua (North of the Island ) This seems to be the place as far as getting "off resort"..

Sparky

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What resort town is best for us based on certain criteria?

the samana peninsula is nice also. the town of las terrenas is fun and safe and there are many excursions. the hotel colibri or the hotel allisei on playa ballenas are non all inclusive and a short walk to restaurants (many on the beach). the only drawback is there are no flights from the US and you would have to land at SDQ (usually the cheapest port of entry) and get a transfer from there. the other areas are also nice, we used to vacation in mazatlan also but are now DR addicts :) ben

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,762 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What resort town is best for us based on certain criteria?

I second Bayahibe. You'll have a few restaurant choices right on the beach. But if you can't find a flight to La Romana airport and you have to fly to SDQ, you might as well consider Las Terrenas. Driving time from SDQ to Las Terrenas is about one hour longer than driving to Bayahibe.

Silvia

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What resort town is best for us based on certain criteria?

Based on your criteria Caberete, Las Terenas, Bayahibe all fit the bill.

5. Re: What resort town is best for us based on certain criteria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 00:17