My family and I have been to Mexico (usually Mazatlan) about a dozen times over the last ten years. We want to try the Dominican Republic. Can someone narrow what town is best for us in the DR based on the following criteria:
1. Great beach. We like to swim in the ocean and snorkel.
2. Great restaurants. We do not like all inclusive. We like to explore local restaurants and prefer the ability to walk to different restaurants. We love restaurants on the beach if possible.
3. Family friendly. I have a 14 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. We do not like "sping break" type resort towns where there is too much partying going on but we love happy hours.
4. A town to walk into or a short cab ride away? I don't like being stuck in one resort so the ability to go into "town" for shopping, restaurants, emerse ourselves in the local culture would be great.
5. Nice resorts. We like resorts that have great pools, fun poolside bars and fun activities for the whole family.
6. Stuff to do on the beach and closeby like renting wave runners/jet skis, zip lines, sunset cruises.
7. Fishing. Not very important but a day either deep sea or bottom fishing would be great.
Any input would be great and then after we choose the town I will work on the actual resort.