We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Resort La Romana

Bancroft, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams Resort La Romana

Is this a good resort. What are it's good and bad points.

Any tips or suggestions of things to do or places to eat. etc.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams Resort La Romana

It's a great hotel, my favourite.

The only negatives might be things that other people actually like. Some people don't like that it's the only hotel on the beach and it's comparatively short. I like the privacy and security provided by there being only one hotel and not a string of them, anchored by jungle on one side and a village on the other.

This is the only hotel in Bayahibe with an obvious and separate Preferred Club which excludes guests that aren't staying in that area. I don't think that you miss out on much by staying on the rest of the property without the Club perks and once away from the Club, all guests are equal. If you feel left out by not staying in the Club, you can pay the price and look into upgrading once at the hotel.

There isn't an adults only hotel in the area but the family friendly nature of this hotel means that children are well occupied and all guests can have the chance at a great vacation.

There are 3 pools on the property, again more than the local competitors. There are 8 a la cartes, way more than the other hotels. Looking for a recommendation: make sure you dine at each of the restaurants at least once. The hotel doesn't take dinner reservations so you're free to decide the mood you're in at dinner time. See if you can also break away for a meal in Bayahibe. The Cuban restaurant 8 minutes from the hotel down the beach offers good meat dishes and excellent mojitos, but I like the view and atmosphere at Capitan Kidd's and Barco Bar further along the bay road (still walking distance).

The hotel has the best snorkeling in the country from its beach. If you are looking for boogie boarding waves, you may be disappointed, but if you like a gentle soak or want calm clear waters to take advantage of the underwater world, you have it at this hotel in spades. You can try the different reef areas at all times of the day to see what you can find.

Another tip: watch the sunset dipping into the Caribbean from a different location each night. Also explore the entire property, on foot or on a bike. It's way larger than you think it is. In a week at the hotel, a friend of mine didn't make it past building 5! Walk around the spa and the rugged undeveloped coast and down the service road to see the wee garden.

Though the hotel can fill 15 days from start to finish, make sure you take advantage of the easy access to pristine beaches of nearby islands. My number one recommendation is the Saona VIP offered by Seavis Tours (http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/Saona_e.htm)

I have pictures of Dreams La Romana, an album of underwater pictures from its reefs, the village of Bayahibe, tours to Santo Domingo and Saona Island and Catalina Island and Catalinita Island, and ziplining with Bayahibe Runners at http://community.webshots.com/user/kaki333

Kaki

Bancroft, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams Resort La Romana

Thank you for the detailed description. There is a large group of us booked for next January. I am sure I will be back with lots of questions.

Bancroft, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams Resort La Romana

Hi. Can anyone tell me how far you can walk on the beach both east and west? Is the beach shallow? Lot's of fish to see?

How far to Zip Lines and are they worth going to? Are they reasonably safe?

I know.....Lot's of questions.

Thanks

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams Resort La Romana

To the west, the walk is along the undeveloped shore into the jungle. It's not recommended to go too far away in case you end up injured or encounter a surprise. You can see in this picture the way the shoreline goes into nothing and there's little to limit you. …webshots.com/photo/2555524930064234328UdhfTz To the east, it's a 10 minute beach walk to the Village of Bayahibe. Again from the pictures that I linked previously, this album shows the walk to and from the village, with the pictures from the hotel to village starting at …webshots.com/photo/2344009150064234328kNRkXz Using Google Earth, if you put in "Bayahibe Dominican Republic" you will see the hotel (blue roof) and the village. Sadly the hotel is under a cloud and you can't see more of it, but you can totally see the beach walk from hotel to village. It's the beach in sight when viewing the webcam at www.dominicanrepublic411.com/index.html

The beach starts out shallow at knee deep but then for 300 feet it remains at no more than 6 feet deep. Because of the shallow calm water at this hotel, it offers its water aerobics in the ocean instead of the pool. You can see some still shots and video at …webshots.com/photo/2519350460064234328tHzjGL The videos really give an idea on the depth since you see some people in waist height water and then further out you can see that it's deeper.

Did you look in my snorkeling album? It is the one that I linked in the aerial picture so you can see a bit in it. There's a good deal of variety and you can see different things depending on the reef you're at and time of day.

There are a couple of zipline tours in the area but the one I chose is about an hour's drive away from the hotel. (They pick you up at the hotel and return you there.) In my album at travel.webshots.com/album/579866351neKAhq you can see some of the drive and a lot of the ziplines. It's extremely safe and well worth the $90 per person (less for children). You can write to Alberto at alberto@bavarorunners.com with specific questions.

Kaki

5. Re: Dreams Resort La Romana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 09:32