We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving form Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

Madison Heights...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving form Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

On my honeymoon my fiancee and I rented a car to drive from SDQ to Punta Cana to save on money and now I am getting nervous about drivng a 3.5 hour trip in a foreign country. I have been hearing all these things like; if you go to DR don't leave the resort (well we are driving half way across the island) or don't stop just keep going. Is it really that dangerous to drive? Or to leave the resort? Any tips on a safe journey from SDQ to Punta Cana? Help!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving form Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

OK two things. Yes driving here is dangerous for the newbie visitor. There basically are no rules or laws of the road that are followed routinely. The roads themselves are in pretty good shape as i just drove this route a week ago. it is somewhat confusing when in La Romana and Huiegy as to no signs or directions. lf you do drive and get lost just hire one of the kids on the motor scooters (motos) for a $1 and let him lead you out of town and on your way. Do make sure you have the maximum insurance you can get including Casa de Conductor on the policy (many times the insurance will be almost as much as the car rental fee). If you are in a major accident (injuries or major damage) EVERYONE goes to jail until it can be figured out (sometimes a couple of days). The Casa Conductor means they will transfer you to a small hotel and keep you under house arrest rather then a jail cell. Gas is also now $5.55 a gallon. So is it worth it????

As to safety off the resort you will be fine as long as you use reasonable precautions like you would anywhere even in your home town. Dont flash money or jewelry. Don't walk down dark alleys in out of the way places and such. There is not much to see around the PC area but do get out and explore. The hotels will tell you it is not safe but they want to sell you one there excursions.

You will have a great time.

BObK

Madison Heights...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving form Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

I wish I could get a flight but with the airlines, there are no flights leaving to go to PUJ and my time share will not move things around so I have to drive. Would a shuttle be better? The hotel told us not to do a shuttle because some are not reliable or safe (its like picking out of a bag). How can I find maps or directions form SDQ to our hotel in Punta Cana?

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving form Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

i would advise against driving this route. coming from up north i am sure your flight arrives early to late afternoon and the thought of having to drive through higuey or having to do any of it at dusk or later is a nightmare. seems there should be a flight somewhere that would get you into PUJ or a private transfer would definately be better. if cost is an issue there are buses and you would only need a few cabs, but again arriving late this may not even be a viable option. good luck and enjoy your trip, ben

4. Re: Driving form Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 05:52