We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marina Coral Hilton or Riu Mambo (or Breezes?)

Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
Marina Coral Hilton or Riu Mambo (or Breezes?)

Hi,

We're currently booked at Breezes, but are contemplating a switch to the Hilton or the Riu Mambo in Puerto Plata. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marina Coral Hilton or Riu Mambo (or Breezes?)

I can't speak for the Marien but I have stayed at both the RIU Mambo and the Breezes POP. We are returning to the Breezes next month for the third time so that should tell you our preferance. For us the Mambo was a beautiful resort with a wonderful staff. BUT, it was so isolated that it was lonely and everything shut down at midnight except for the very noisy disco at the Merengue. The Breezes has a beach bar that is open 24 hours and offers hot snacks all night long. Breezes is sandwiched between Sousa and Cabarate and the resort offers a free shuttle into both towns.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marina Coral Hilton or Riu Mambo (or Breezes?)

I do agree that the Riu Resort is remote and fairly quiet at night. But not all the bars close at midnight, the bar in the Bachata was open as long as there were customers around. Can anyone tell me if this has changed since Feb 05 as we are returning this year and do enjoy our late night drinks.

Thanks Lorraine

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marina Coral Hilton or Riu Mambo (or Breezes?)

I have been to breezes and the marien and prefer the marien hands down to breezes. The marien is newer, nicer, great food, better beach, is about the same distance to playa dorada but further to caberte or sousa if that is what you want. They have a snack bar at the beach that is open late as well. The only up side to breezes is that breezes has a excellent choice in international brand drinks and the marien is limited in that area. Overall the marien is a way better resort! I aldo agree that the riu's are great resorts but are more isolated.