We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you need injections for the Dominican Republic

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
do you need injections for the Dominican Republic

hi,,just wondering do you need any jabs before going here...any other info on bites or bugs would be helpful

thanks

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,019 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do you need injections for the Dominican Republic

barneygrumble,

You should go and see your Dr/Practise Nurse at your surgery but my insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inocculations or medications prior to my trip. Better to be safe than sorry.So I would look into your travel insurance.

Now where ever I travel round the world including Europe I am vaccinated and keep them all up to date.

Typhoid and Hepatitis A are spread through contaminated food and water. Typhoid causes septicaemia and Hepatitis A causes liver inflammation and jaundice. In risk areas you should be immunised if good hygiene is impossible.

Tetanus is contracted through dirty cuts and scratches and poliomyelitis spread through contaminated food and water. They are serious infections of the nervous system.

Your tetanus is a three in one with Diptheria and Polio which I keep up to date anyway in the UK incase of cuts in general with either gardening or opening cans in the kitchen whilst cooking.

So in answer to your question are they necessary..........YES.........and also they are recommended

Sometimes you have to watch out for sand fleas which can be big problem so avoid walking on the beach very early in the morning and at dusk when the pesky things are at their most active time as you will get bitten alive. A tip for you also is when you get back to your room is not to forget............. do NOT to put your beach towels or bags on your bed when you come back from the beach and shower with a shower scrunchie as soon as you come in from the beach... as these pesky little things stick to you and if you dont shower before a rest lying on your bed they will have a feast on you when you are asleep then people think they have bed bugs.

Angie.

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do you need injections for the Dominican Republic

thanks for reply

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do you need injections for the Dominican Republic

hey

just wondering if you could advise me on which currency is the best to bring with you to Domincia.

Any help be great,where getting dollars but we heard they give u peso back.

What did you find the best

Thanks

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,019 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do you need injections for the Dominican Republic

I only take $US for getting in and out of the DR and pesos for everything else..............$US10 for your Tourist Card (entry ) per person and $US20 Departure Tax per person

I usually take a little currency in pesos to just tide me over than use ATM's as they only give out pesos and at a good rate, but do inform your bank of the dates you are in the Dom. Rep as they will block your card for fraudulent use. But you can take GBP and just change them in the exchange cambios much better rates than in your resort.

Even though prices off resort are sometimes priced in $US you will get trips, shopping and taxis at a far better rate if you ask to pay in pesos.

Yes it true when you pay for anything in dollars you will get change in pesos and at an exchange rate to benefit the shopkeeper.

Angie.

5. Re: do you need injections for the Dominican Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 13:17