We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Bristol, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Malaria

hi,

are you aware of any issues with malaria in the dominican republic? we are off to punta cana next week and now i have been told its a country where you can contract this. i wouldnt worry too much normally but i will be 13 weeks pregnant when we get there and i have been told this can increase your chances of getting the disease.

i have bought tablets, repellent and a plug in thing for our room so hopefully that will be enough precausion but still alittle worried.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

There are no issues. However as you are coming from the UK you may be required to take medicine, check with your Insurer and Doctor.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2475.aspx…

Speak to your GP ONLY! Some anti-malarial medication MUST NOT BE TAKEN when pregnant. An insurer can not insist that you take medication if it is contra-indicated or if your doctor has told you not to.

3. Re: Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 08:17