We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

We are headed to the DR in March for a wedding. Because our people booked the wedding at Now Larimar in Punta Cana we decided to spend our first 5 nights with everyone there. Honestly, these resorts aren't my thing. I'd rather get away from the touristy stuff and have a little more of an authentic Dominican experience... Sorta.... Still look for clean lodging,

Does anyone travel to the DR and visit less touristy areas, hike without guides or anything like that? I was thinking of heading to Jarabacoa or maybe Samana in search of something quieter. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

There are many nice places to visit in the DR but unfortunately for you are quite a distance from Punta Cana. It would be at least a 5 hr drive to either Jarabacoa or Samana so unless you have more than a week it would be a stretch to visit. La Romana and Bayahibe are closer and may be more of the authentic DR and less touristy. Also some Spanish is good if traveling to the less frequented spots. Happy travels, Ben

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

You haven't mentioned how you'll be traveling within the DR...

Are you gonna use Buses/Guaguas, Taxis or rentals...

Do you still want AI or are you looking for smaller B&B...

Are you looking to go inland or stay on the coast...

Sparky

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

You could also consider a couple of days in the capital Santo Domingo. The zona colonial is worth a visit with plenty of genuine Dominican expereinces. Most toruists you will see are day trippers.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

My bad. Because I get so bored at the big all inclusive resorts we decided to cut our stay at Now Larimar down from 8 nights to 5 nights and then spend 5 nights elsewhere. We haven't decide how to get around but will probably rent a car. We definitely prefer B&B's. I really just like a clean place to sleep and keep my excess baggage, which is very little.

Jarabacoa and Samana were two areas I thought to flee to but to be honest, I know next to nothing about either of them so all my ideas are fairly baseless at this point. Anyway... thanks again guys.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

Samana is not a bad drive from PC as you do not have to go through Santo Domingo. But be sure to get a good map and know how to ask assistance and directions in Spanish, and leave plenty soon enough not to be driving at night. There are also flights to samana from PC so this is also an option. Miches, just to the north of PC, is also nice and quiet but I have never been there and there is a nice eco resort at the south end of samana bay in los haitisis natl park. Not too difficult to hire a guide for some of these things since you have time at first at the resort to ask about. As an off track traveler myself :) I wish you happy and safe travels... peace

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

Or you could go to Bayahibe.... Easy enough... 3 Guaguas....Bavaro - Higuey, Higuey - La Romana, La Romana - Bayahibe... Cost about $10 pp ....Journey time about 120 / 150mins....

Hotel Bayahibe ( $55 a night BB fo 2 persons..)

Smashing little village & great beaches..

Sparky

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

That should give me a little more to focus on. Thanks for all the tips guys : )

8. Re: Anyone else prefer to get off the beaten path?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:16