We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare DR to other destinations

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Compare DR to other destinations

I would like someone to let me know what Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata, Cabarete, etc.) is like compared to other Caribbean destinations. We have been to Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, and Playa del Carmen/Tulum (Mexico) several times. We have never stayed in an all-inclusive resort since we enjoy eating at local restaurants. We also like to shop for crafts at local shops, swim, and snorkel. We aren't opposed to staying at an all-inclusive, just haven't done it. I guess we don't like being tied down.

I would appreciate all comments and suggestions. We have been to most islands in the Caribbean. A nice beach is a must!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare DR to other destinations

IMO the best area to stay is the Samana Peniinsular. Some good independent hotels and eating places in Las Terranas + some great beaches The main AI centre is Punta Cana - I wouldn't recommend it1 Local crafts are not that great and many are imported. For the Caribbean the the DR is a large country with a remarkable range of ecosystems - desert to pine forests + Santo Domingo is the mother of all colonial cities in the Ameriicas .Definetly one to visit.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare DR to other destinations

What is the best way to get to PUerto Plata or Samana? We were going to head back to Hawaii, but I am now looking at visiting a destination we haven't been to yet. A good beach with shops and restaurants nearby is a plus!

Thanks

3. Re: Compare DR to other destinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 07:15