We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The truth about the weather in Puerto Plata in July?!

Suffolk, UK
1 post
Save Topic
The truth about the weather in Puerto Plata in July?!

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on taking a holiday in July, and have been looking at the Dominican Republic. Particularly I'm looking at the Riu Bachata complex in Puerto Plata. The thing I'm most worried about is the weather. I've read tons of different reviews, and they all seem to say different things. Some that the north is dry in the summer, other than its wet, one site said july was the second driest season for Puerto Plata (…about.com/q/…Puerto-Plata-7.htm). Please help! I can put up with a little rain but I just need to know the truth about what to expect!

Thank you

Ben.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The truth about the weather in Puerto Plata in July?!

I was concerned about this too, we are going in July. So before we booked I asked the same question, after lots of reassurance from other travellers, we were convinced it would be very hot. I have since looked up rainfall charts and it was much less than our last visit to the Bachata, (Feb 05). We are staying in the Merengue this time, as there are a large group of us. We needed some rooms for singles, the Bachata could not offer this. The Merengue does do it with a supplement,

We are travelling with First Choice, because the flights are the best. Lots of extra legroom and benefits, have a look at their website.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The truth about the weather in Puerto Plata in July?!

July and august would be right in the middle of hurricane season.

Hurricane season goes from May to November 30

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The truth about the weather in Puerto Plata in July?!

I have read before that the Puerto Plata area, very rarely gets hit by any sort of hurricanes, it is usually the other side of the island that catch it!! Hopefully this is correct.

wales
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The truth about the weather in Puerto Plata in July?!

Hi,

Just returned weather absolutely great, rained one evening & night only.

However it is just going into rainy season so expect some rain.

Also the Island is very green with dense vegetation so that suggests they get plenty of rain.

Anyway you'l have a great time

Nodnyl

5. Re: The truth about the weather in Puerto Plata in July?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 21:17