We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SDQ to Barahona

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
SDQ to Barahona

Hi there,

I'm very new to this forum, and to international travels in general.

Next month, I'm going to the DR, final destination being Barahona.

My flight arrives at 12PM in SDQ.

I would like to know:

1- Is it possible to get a taxi ride from SDQ to Barahona for no more than $100? I have a friend who seems to think that's doable.

If possible, please provide phone number(s) for a driver you know of that speaks at least basic English.

2) If the first option is not possible, I saw a bus from Caribe Tours that leaves Santo Domingo at 1:45pm to Barahona, for less than 10 bucks. If I get a taxi from SDQ-Las Americas (departure level), how much should I expect to pay to be taken to the Caribe Tours bus station that will service Barahona? I hear there are several stations.

I need to know if it's necessary to go to the main terminal of the bus company to catch the bus to Barahona, and how much and how long will the taxi ride be to that station.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: SDQ to Barahona

BTW, Final destination is APART HOTEL PONTEVEDRA, Barahona.

Thanks.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SDQ to Barahona

I'm not 100% sure but I would think the taxi would be much more than $100. Also the bus will be difficult to catch after clearing customs, collecting luggage, etc. You may be best off to overnight in SD and catch the first bus out in the morning, especially since the pontevedra is a ways from Barahona and an additional taxi will be required. I have not stayed there personally but have seen the property and rooms 1.5 yrs ago and unless they have changed I would not suggest the pontvedra unless all others are budget breakers. Also not many if any people will speak english in the area. This being said I would highly recommend Barahona and the surrounding area. Very beautiful and peaceful and non touristy. Happy travels, Ben

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SDQ to Barahona

Seems from the recent pics on tripadvisor the pontevedra has been remodeled. They must have been doing these repairs when I looked around so disregard my suggestion to avoid it :) B

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SDQ to Barahona

There is a later bus with Caribe Tours from Santo Domingo to Barahona at 5.15. There is only one Caribe Tours bus station in Santo Domingo on Avenida 27 Febrero.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: SDQ to Barahona

Landing at 12 p.m. at SDQ is no problem for getting to Baharona same day. Just take a taxi to the Caribe Tours city depot ($45) and get the bus. Very easy to make the 5:15 bus (350 Pesos approx). Baharona is very un-touristy and beautiful. Enjoy.

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SDQ to Barahona

Thank you guys for your answers. I'm really hoping to catch the bus leaving at 1:45pm to arrive to Barahona by dawn... I always have an odd feeling about arriving in a new place at night...

But if I have to wait for the 5pm one, that's just what I'll have to do.

Thank you for providing me such valuable information... Taxi costs, etc.

Any idea how long the taxi ride is between the airport and the station during that time of day? I know, I know... I'm being a pest.

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SDQ to Barahona

I was navigating the site, and came upon that tool where you select the places you've been to, etc. Turns out I've visited quite a few places already.... I guess what I really meant was "new to travelling alone" :)

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: SDQ to Barahona

SDQ to Caribe tours is maybe 35-40 minutes depending on traffic,etc.

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SDQ to Barahona

Thanks so much. I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope to catch that 1:45pm Bus.

10. Re: SDQ to Barahona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:16