We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for the impossible? Not for TA forum members!

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
179 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Searching for the impossible? Not for TA forum members!

So, I am looking for something specific somewhere within the DR. My wife and I traveled here last year for the first time and really enjoyed the experience BUT (there is always a BUT)...

The accommodation I am seeking would ideally be smaller, adults only (or at least adult oriented) and have comfortable rooms and a GREAT beach. When we travel during the winter, all we really want to do is lounge on the beach and relax. Nightlife, excursions, volleyball tournaments, shopping are just not on our agenda for these type of trips.

The mega resorts are fine and we have plenty to choose from. What I would LIKE to find is a smaller and more intimate property where we could spend 5 or 6 nights just relaxing on a world-class beach by day and enjoying a decent meal and bottle of wine at night. Somehow, the huge AI resorts don't quite meet those simple demands. Some of the older and smaller resorts might fit out desires, but the reviews always seem to put me off. We aren't what I would call high maintenance people but we do have SOME standards, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I have always received help on the TA forums when I have asked for it. Hopefully some of the local experts will be able to offer me some suggestions. I am not tied to one specific area, but it seems that flying from the US into PUJ makes getting a non-stop flight at least possible. Flying into LRM always seems to require multiple stops and even overnight flights. But I'm flexible, really.

Thanks in advance folks!

PEACE

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Searching for the impossible? Not for TA forum members!

If you can fly into Samana I would investigate Playa Bonita - near Las Terranas. We have stayed in Hotel Atlantis - small place with excellent food and a great beach. Las Terranas is a bit busy these days so another option is Las Galeras at the end of the peninsular (Hotel Todo Blanco) - also close to Playa Rincon - one of the best beaches in the country.

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Searching for the impossible? Not for TA forum members!

Hotel Villa Serena in Las Galeras is also a good option, don't think Todo Blanco's Restaurant is open but I can find out

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Searching for the impossible? Not for TA forum members!

Check out the Punt Cana Princess. Its AI but is adults only and on a beautiful stretch of beach. Just a thought.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Searching for the impossible? Not for TA forum members!

Sublime Samana or Casa Coson in Coson near Las Terrenas. Playa Bonito that Domingo mentioned is just around the point. May be a bit of a hassle to get to but fits your description and Las Terrenas has many good restaurants. Also as tda mentioned the town of Las Galeras is tranquil. Happy hunting.. Peace

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Searching for the impossible? Not for TA forum members!

Thanks everyone. TA forum members are the best!

It looks like flying into PUJ will just about be mandatory unless I want to deal with overnight flights. I will definitely check on the accommodations mentioned. I feel sure I can find what I am looking for. We plan to travel just before Christmas if I can work it out.

Having easy access to the beach is very important. We really want to be able to just walk out our door to it. Or something close anyway. We don't mind AI but prefer something smaller than the mega resorts.

Thanks again!

PEACE

6. Re: Searching for the impossible? Not for TA forum members!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:19