We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

january vacation Peurto Plata or La Romana...

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
january vacation Peurto Plata or La Romana...

I am wondering if it is warmer in January to be on the Caribbean Ocean or the Atlantic? we went one year to Cuba in January and was cool. LOL I shouldn't complain as it was much warmer than the -40c here in January but just trying to hedge my bets!! Thanks for your knowledge and opinions

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: january vacation Peurto Plata or La Romana...

The temperature all around the island is almost the same, unless you go to Pico Duarte, the highest mountain in Caribbean (3,098 m / 10,164 ft). The difference is usually in the amount of the rain you get in each part. But January is one of the months of the year with the least rain, so you should be fine.

Don't forget that even Punta Cana is on the Atlantic side, only La Romana area (Bayahibe / Dominicus) is by the Caribbean sea. So it comes to what you prefer - calm Caribbean sea or the Atlantic Ocean.

Denise

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: january vacation Peurto Plata or La Romana...

There are places on the north coast (Puerto plata) that have calm seas as well. Sosua bay, mamion bay, playa Caleton and lots more.

BObK

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: january vacation Peurto Plata or La Romana...

What about snorkeling opportunities for each place? Just trying to narrow down area first and then resorts, oh my so much to choose from

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: january vacation Peurto Plata or La Romana...

Snorkling for LaRomana vs. Puerto Plata, La Romana wins hands down. Best snorkling near PP is Sosua.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: january vacation Peurto Plata or La Romana...

I would go with bayahibe/dominicus, la romana. Way better to snorkle, plus the calm caribe water.dreams la romana being the best All inc. With a small fisherman in walking distance.

Ive stayed at viva palace which has the longest beach n snorkle right off the beach .

6. Re: january vacation Peurto Plata or La Romana...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:16