We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illegal photos of people and property

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Illegal photos of people and property

I recently was told by a lawyer, that you can not take photo's here on this island of people or their property without their permission. If you do you can be arrested and put in jail. This is the only country I have visited with such a law.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

Never heard of that or of anyone been arrested for doing it.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,922 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

That is a new one for me.

BObK

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

In the Kremlin maybe, not the D.R.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
36,778 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

Must admit I have never heard or read of this ever happening. I have taken many great photos the times I have visited the DR.

Angie.

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

A lawyer where? Sorry but if that were the case, then virtually every tourist who has ever visited would have been imprisoned and certainly I, as a resident, would be serving time too.... This webpage sums it very clearly

photorights.org/faq/is-it-legal-to-take-phot…

and the bottom line is that, in a public place, there is no restriction on taking photographs of random passing strangers. As a courtesy though, if I want to photograph someone doing something interesting, like making straw hats, rolling cigars, shredding coconut etc, I ask if they mind

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

Actually RV this was a problem in London about a year or 2 ago when over-zealous community police officers were stopping individuals from taking photos or questioning them due to security issues. Seems to have quitened down now.

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

In English Law, it is not actually a crime to take a photo of someone here ..... however it is a crime to publish it / show it without there consent, (Michael Douglas v Hello) .....also it is said to infringe on a persons right to a private life article 8 of the European Union treaty .....however most average people do not bother about it i.e other people that are caught in holiday snaps and shown on a site like this ...it is mainly celebrities that bring cases in this area as they are expensive to bring and they have the most to lose :-)

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

Domingo......... that was probably the case as there was a crack down on allsorts after the bombs on the tubes / buses in London, :-)

9. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 18:46
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Illegal photos of people and property

What is ilegal is publish pictures or videos of people without their concent to get a profit

It is not so hard on touristic areas, but in Santo Domingo, has become an issue abouit few years ago. Specially pictures of children can be a problem

If you kindly ask before taking a picture of someone that maybe recognoised, if shouldn't be a problem