We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the ocean warm enough in early January?

Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is the ocean warm enough in early January?

Hi. I am planning a vacation somewhere South and was thinking of either Dominican Republic or Mexico. I would prefer Dominican over Mexico, but a friend told me that the water won't be comfortably warm in Dominican in January and the air temperature might not be warm either. Is it really so?

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the ocean warm enough in early January?

Comfortably warm to swim? You won't have a problem , the sea temperature will still be in the 70s.

What part of the DR are you thinking of visiting? Puerto Plata (north coast) can be a few degrees cooler than Punta Cana as well as the south coast.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 05:10
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the ocean warm enough in early January?

It will be warm enough for you, but you will find us thin blooded expats will be watching you from the beach.

BObK

Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the ocean warm enough in early January?

Thank you. I was thinking of Punta Cana.

4. Re: Is the ocean warm enough in early January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:17