We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to the DR--off the beaten path?

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Trip to the DR--off the beaten path?

Hi all,

I just bought a plane ticket to Santo Domingo for about 10 days in January and have nothing planned yet. I'm looking for non-touristy/less traveled areas. I'd like to do a couple days by a beach, a couple days in a rural area, and a couple days in Santo Domingo. I am fluent in Spanish and traveling with two friends. Does anyone have any suggestions about places to go that are less touristy/more authentic/less crowded? Thanks so much!!

Alyssa

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to the DR--off the beaten path?

Santo Domingo would make a good base. The Zona Colonial gets some day vistitors but in the evenings is a good mix of locals and vistoris,

Caribe Tour Buses have routes to many locations from Santo Domingo

I would recommend the South West - - bus to Barahona - then down the SW coast - night in pension, then Perdenales and a trip to Bahia de las Aguilas. Best done and cheaper with a group of people. This area is more remote and a complete constrast to the AI world.

Another alternatie could be a trip to the montains - Constanza or JArabacoa.

Santiago- the second city has a nice centre and worth a wander abouyt 1,5 hours from SD..

NW - Monticristi is an interesting old town. Dajabon has a big Haitian market - but Hatian/DR relations are currently not good..

For the beach I would consider Samana and Las Terranas. Fata Morgana on the outskirts of town is a nice place to stay.

All above have Caribe Tour buses from Santo Domingo.

Rough Guide and Lonely Planet have good guides to the country.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to the DR--off the beaten path?

10 days is a good amount of time. I agree with Domingo to use SD as your base. Go to somewhere near the Colonial Zone for a few days and then head to the SW, Baharona, et. al. You can take Caribe tours and go where most tourists don't. Spend 5-6 days there and back to SD.

The alternate fo Samana is a good one but has it's fair share of tourists. the SW is not a touristy area.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to the DR--off the beaten path?

Renting a car would be helpful if you go out to non-tourist areas but be careful on the road.

Barahona is indeed off the beaten path and as I hear very wonderful! You wil have some beach there..

Samana is more touristic but also not that bad and its very beautiful there and more authentic.

Rural area.. Go to Bonao and see some the art museum and the house of Cristian Tiburcio which is very nice! Near Bonao is also a nice hike to a waterfall and you cannot miss the restaurant Tipico Bonao with local dishes. From there you can go into the mountains to Constanza and Jarabacoa.. Good places for hiking eat fresh strawberries, visit some nice waterfalls and visit coffee plantations..

4. Re: Trip to the DR--off the beaten path?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:18