We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to Santo domingo-- but want to stay on North coast

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
flying to Santo domingo-- but want to stay on North coast

have been warned not to rent a car and drive long distances. Person who warned has been many times for work with the poor of the DR. So, my question is:

am I better off staying south (and going to romana or punta cana) -- or is there another way to get to Samana or cabarete that does not involve a rental car?

and really, what is the drive like? and how long? Any recos?

nyc
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying to Santo domingo-- but want to stay on North coast

If flying in thru the airport, these are your options: taxi, pre arranged shuttle, or car rental.

There are buses that go all over the island, but you need to go into the city for that, $40 cab ride.

Taxi is the most quicker simpler method. Laromana is 50 minutes($100 each way), punta cana is under 2 hours ($200 each way) samana is oover 3 hours ($300) puerto plata unknown by me? A taxi takes up to 4 passengers.

Unless your planning on a day in the city, its not worth the hassle for me and my luggage.

If you spanish is ok,and you need the car for your stay ,renting is do able. But keep in mind,

You will need full insurance from them, you could be detained if in an accident, and 911 is not the same over in DR. theres also the lack of signage on the roads, and speed bumps come without warning. There are other road hazards like scooters, and cars with faulty lights.the drive time is just like a taxi.

If it were me, take a taxi to bayahibe/dominicus area(laromana) and enjoy.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 21:49
nyc
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying to Santo domingo-- but want to stay on North coast

If flying in thru the airport, these are your options: taxi, pre arranged shuttle, or car rental.

There are buses that go all over the island, but you need to go into the city for that, $40 cab ride.

Taxi is the most quicker simpler method. Laromana is 50 minutes($100 each way), punta cana is under 2 hours ($200 each way) samana is oover 3 hours ($300) puerto plata unknown by me? A taxi takes up to 4 passengers.

Unless your planning on a day in the city, its not worth the hassle for me and my luggage.

If you spanish is ok,and you need the car for your stay ,renting is do able. But keep in mind,

You will need full insurance from them, you could be detained if in an accident, and 911 is not the same over in DR. theres also the lack of signage on the roads, and speed bumps come without warning. There are other road hazards like scooters, and cars with faulty lights.the drive time is just like a taxi.

If it were me, take a taxi to bayahibe/dominicus area(laromana) and enjoy.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 21:49
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flying to Santo domingo-- but want to stay on North coast

Going to Samana is very easy from SDQ. Daytime only is the caveat. From SDQ take a taxi to the nearby entrance to the toll road. Caribe Tours has a bus shell there where you can buy a ticket go via coach to Samana. Cheap and easy. Last bus at 4 p.m.

Bus stops in Sanchez, ride is about 2 hours. Price is about $10.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 01:07
4. Re: flying to Santo domingo-- but want to stay on North coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:16