We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Airport Suspicious Fees, why only cash?

Sunnyvale...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Punta Cana Airport Suspicious Fees, why only cash?

I am wondering why do they charge 10 USD to enter the D.R. and 20 USD to exit. They only take cash, it just seems suspicious to me. How do they do proper recording of these cash transactions, what are the funds used for? I would like to hear from the Airport authorities on this.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Airport Suspicious Fees, why only cash?

Reason? Its fast! Imagine 300 people doing credit card transactions. Many tour companies include this fee so no worries on a few 20's falling into pockets.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Airport Suspicious Fees, why only cash?

You're joking of course. A developing country wanting USD cash, what a novel idea. Every politician has a black SUV with tinted windows. Who pays for this?

Thanks for the laugh.

This is a common practice in most African countries that charge an entry/exit as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Airport Suspicious Fees, why only cash?

When you consider how much a Dominican has to pay to get into the US or Europe perhaps they should be asking for more.

Sunnyvale...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana Airport Suspicious Fees, why only cash?

thanks for the responses so far. With regards to cash transactions being faster than debit or credit, not sure about it. One correction to my earlier post, the 10 USD entry tax is actually official computerized and the cashier provided the receipts that read "Direccion General De Impuestos Internos RNC 401-506250-4" with a transaction id and bar-code. But on the way back home we were charged another 20 USD per each for which we were not given any receipts, the "cashier" was sitting at the exit of the check-in counter gathered the cash and stamped our boarding passes placing the money on a metal box, no paper or electronic record of any kind. We have been in Punta Cana 6 times, we love the people and the place. The airport was overcrowded yesterday, check-in was slow, but then the killer was waiting in long lines for 1.5 hours to go through customs on the way out only to see that the officer was very tired and stamped our passports without even looking at them or asking any questions. So clearly there is a need for improving the experience for visitors. I hope the taxes and fees are used wisely and not stolen.

5. Re: Punta Cana Airport Suspicious Fees, why only cash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19