We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

Gettysburg...
3 posts
Save Topic
New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

My husband and I have in the past stayed in Negril Jamaica and are looking to stay in the Dominican this time. We are looking for a small quiet hotel, and I'm having trouble narrowing down all the choices in the Dominican. When in Negril we stayed at tensing pen this past time which is a small boutique hotel set on the cliffs away from all the hubbub. We liked renting scooters and exploring the countryside and eating local cuisine and staying away from big resorts and crowds. Another thing that would be good would be a place with individual bungalows - we like the privacy of that set up.

Any suggestions?

Gettysburg...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

I should've added we're not interested in an all-inclusive. We prefer to go find places to eat :)

nyc
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

From what you have described, samana is for you. Theres 2 areas in samana, las terrenas and las galeras.

The only drawback is getting there. Flight from Jfk is your only option from the US., or fly into sdq and take a taxi or bus to samana. Taxi= 3 hr ride, bus = longer ride.

Do your research.

Another area is bayahibe. Its a fishing village with a calm beach, has a sunset view, there are a couple of resturaunts by the water and snorkle from the beach. About an hour taxi from puj and sdq by taxi .

For bungalows, they have them at viva dominicus beach in bayahibe.its an all in resort, but there are areas that are quiet.

Do your research.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g259440-d754333…

Close to town and places to eat and on a relatively quiet stretch of beautiful beach. Can rent scooters or quads to explore. Also quite a few small hotels (Alisei and Colibri) on the same beach (playa las ballenas)

Gettysburg...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

Looks like we definitely need to look outside of punta cana. Thanks for the suggestions. Will spend the rest of the day (while it snows outside) looking for quiet places in las terrenas and samana. Looks like puerto plata would be a good possibility as well. We have to fly into punta cana but I'd imagine we could take a puddle jumper from there.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

Best to fly to El Catey on jetblue from NYC or 2nd best fly to SDQ (Santo Domingo). If you must fly into Punta Cana then Bayahibe may be your best option unless able to pay for a commuter flight.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

If you have to fly into punta cana, samana is a long 5+ hr drive. The bus will take all day, there are flights, but kind of expensive.

Bayahibe is 50 minutes away from punta cana airport. Bayahibe has quick excursions to 2 islands, theres hiking or horseback thru a national park, fishing excursions. You can rent a quad or scoiter as well. You can also take in a colonial tour 90 minutes away.

I dont like puerto plata as much, maybe cause ive been there done that, or the beach is so much better on the south coast.

7. Re: New to Dominican & need help finding the right hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:16