We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Dominican Republic

Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Dominican Republic

Hi there..

I'm planning my trip to Dominican Republic in June 4 - June 12.

and I will arrive to Puerto Plata and leave from Punta Cana.

I would like some recommendations for:

1) what Cities I must visit?

2) how many days in each city?

3) I need some recommendations for areas/hotel to stay in

4) how safe is DR?

5) is it better to rent a card and drive?

to give you an idea about what I like... I like scuba diving... activities... like horseback riding

waterfall and volcanos... I would like to go on a wheal watch trip.

History is something I would like to see...

I'm a photgraoher and Chef... so food would be a great thing and nice sights to capture.

also, I a latin dancer... and I love to explore different culture from cuisine to dancing and history.

night life not the most important but i prefer to see cultural carneivla and tradithinal shows.

hope the above helps.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Dominican Republic

For 8 days, there may not be enough time to do it all.

The two locations are so far apart.

Well, let me try to give you distances from each area.

Puerto plata is in the north. This is the oldest resort area. The towns cabarete, sosua and puerto plata is half hour away from each other.

3-4 hrs drive east is samana.

The capitol santo domingo is under 3hrs south from here.

Punta cana is 2.5 miles east from here.

For a tour of the DR, for photography and food,

You can focus on sosua and cabarete for 2 days, take bus to santo domingo colonial zone. Take a tour for 1 day, then go to bayahibe for scuba, horseback, island excursion, food 2 days.the on to punta cana. You can end your vacation in bayahibe as the punta cana airport is 45 minute away.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Dominican Republic

Good info above but Punta Cana is 2.5 hours to the east of Santo Domingo not 2.5 miles.

This is a huge amount of territory to cover. A couple of days north then a bus to Santo Domingo for a couple of days and then a bus to Punta Cana.

BObK

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Dominican Republic

You have 8 days to do an 18 day itinerary. One idea:

PP June 4-5

Bus to Las Terenas June 6-8

Bus to Santo Domingo June 9-10

Bus to Punta Cana June 10-12

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Dominican Republic

You seem to want to do everything - you may need to prioritise. Best to read a decent guide eg Lonely Planet or Rough Guide.You seem quite indepenent so I would spend the least amount of time in Punta Cana which is mostly AI resorts - other areas have a wider variety of thinngs to do.

I would second the idea of going over to Las terranas and Samana - beautiful area.

History is something I would like to see - worth a trip into Puerto Plata to see some Victorian architecture + Zona Colonial of Santo Domingo. The zona is very pleasant and may be worth a couple of nights - this area is safe and you don;;t need a guide.

Santo Domingo would also be a good place for music - merengue etc. Check Listin Diario the main paper for local events.There is a web version.

5. Re: Visiting Dominican Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16