We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do u need to take malaria tablets ?

Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do u need to take malaria tablets ?

We're going to the Dominican Republic in September and have been told by a nurse to take malaria tablets . Other people who have been have said there's no need & looking at the price of them if we don't need them I'd like to avoid wasting money .

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do u need to take malaria tablets ?

I would check your insurance document some insurers require you to have them. We are also travelling to DR in September and we are taking all the neccasary precautions. What's a few more ££ to stop you from getting seriously ill. When you travelling in September ?

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
39,855 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do u need to take malaria tablets ?

If your nurse has advised you take them then do so..........you might like to check out the fine print in your travel insurance as my insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inoculations or medications prior to my trip. So I would look into your travel insurance.

You say looking at the price of malaria tablets if you don't need them you would like to avoid wasting money..........the malaria tablets are called Avloclor that are normally recommended for the Dominican Republic and are no more than a few pounds for the packet of 20.........Boots had them on 'Buy one get one 1/2 price'

Angie.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do u need to take malaria tablets ?

It is good you asked the question as it is important to do your own research on health related issues and understand the risks. The nurse may not even know where the DR is and will be relying on a list. The reality is that malaria is very rare in the DR and the chances of catching it extremely small. The chances of getting it and then suffering from the disease in the DR are even smaller - there is an incubation period and it is more likely that the symptons would appear when you are home and not insured. I visit the country regularly, married to a Dominican: I and neither my wife's family or friends take this medication. Better IMO is to ensure you take suitable precauations against bites.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do u need to take malaria tablets ?

My nurse had printed a whole load of information out from the foreign office website and also fit for travel which is recommendations from the UK gov. It also has a recent update on the chikungunya virus. At the end of the day it is only advice and however the information helps you make an informed decision.

5. Re: Do u need to take malaria tablets ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:17