We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax at Puerto Plata Airport

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Departure Tax at Puerto Plata Airport

Can anyone enlighten me on this subject. We came home on Sunday 27th Feb, flying with Brittania to Gatwick. I was a little confused as to when we had to hand over our $20, departure tax. (It has to be paid just before boarding at the Gate). We were ok, but there was one man there who had handed over his family's money prior to this, to an airport official, who had pocketed the money. I don't know what happened in the end, but our flight was delayed, slightly due to this event. It was a wonderful holiday, for us, but I am sure must have been spoiled for one family because of a corupt official. Does anyone know the outcome for this family??

soo ontario
Level Contributor
315 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax at Puerto Plata Airport

I have travlled to the DR many many times. Sometimes I pay the departure tax and sometimes the company that I am traveling with has paid it for me. If I pay it it is at the counter up in the departure area. Now there is a new tax that is paid at the wicked just after you pass through security. I was not told of this untill I reached the counter. I travel alone and when I got to the counter the man informed me that because I was there over 15 days that I must pay 150 pes. I said I did not have any money on me. He looked around and suggested we go into his office and we could "work it out". He continued to tell me that Dominican men like Canadian women. I became very afraid. He had my passport in his hand and when I looked around there was no one else around to help. I had my credit card and debit card but no place to use them. I had never heard of this tax and was caught off gaurd. He was getting forceful about going to his office. I reached in my pocket and to my surprise found 200 pes. I gave it to him and did not get any change. He finally gave me my passport and was allowed to leave. I was given no receipt.

London UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax at Puerto Plata Airport

Hi Ippwrth,

Your right about the small delay, I too would be interested to know what the out come was?

We were at the front of the plane and after the Captain mentioned the minor problem that a passenger was having at the departure tax area, I never saw any body else board the aircraft?

One thing we did see after being advised that the departure tax had to be paid in US$ (20) was a customer pay in Peso (650 Peso) not the best rate but looks as if it is an option.