We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

Which Santo Domingo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

I am a single female traveler who does not speak much Spanish. What would be the best way to get to Punta Cana from Las Americas International Airport? Thanks!

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

Has anyone had any experience with Expreso Bávaro? I've been trying to find online where to go to catch this bus and at what time but haven't seen an official site yet... It sounds as though it would be quite comfortable with very few stops?

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

Any bus service to Bavaro does not stop inside the airport so it's quite tricky to wait on the highway and hope one will stop as they are not that frequent.

The best way would be by taxi - the posted rates from PUJ to AILA is US$175 although a local cab at the airport on arrival should be much less

You could also get a quote & pre-book with IBK Servicios at

info@ibkservicios.com

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

Thanks for the response! Does Expreso Bávaro not leave from the bus station in Santo Domingo? I could be dropped off there (I will be with a group the week prior and they are leaving via the airport) if I knew where to go and how to find this bus?

Illinois
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

I have not heard of that bus company but know of Caribe and Metro bus. Both have stations in the city. We took one over Easter. The bus we were on was continuing to Punta Cana. Clean, comfortable, easy to do. I, however can't remember which company we ended up with- Caribe, I think.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

Thanks! How did you find where to go?

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

Thruthispretty is correct.

There is a Bus company called 'Expreso Bavaro" that departs from Santo Domingo city centre tozards Bavaro-Punta cana.

Their santo Domingo "station" is at Juan Sánchez Ramirez # 31 (almost corner with Máximo Gómez, near the Nathional Theatre). Its telephone is 809-682-9670

It departs everyday at 7am, 10am, 2pm, and 4pm. and the same times are for the departure from Bavaro.

They are big confortable buses, air conditioned, and they make one 15 minute stop in the way.

The trip costs RS$250 (about US$7)

The stop is at Sitrabapu Bus stop, near Friusa and the POlitur police station, and its telephone is 809-5521678

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

kmjhonson, you defenetelly didn't travel with "Metro" or "Caribe Tours" to Bavaro/Punta Cana.

None of these companies are "allowed" by the sindicates to operate passanger scheluded buses to the East reagion, and everytime they've tried they have buses burnt down to ashes.

All passanger buses to the east are sindicate owned (Sitrabapu, Sichoem, Sichoprola,.....sicho, sicho, and more sicho.....)

"Metro" and "Caribe Tours" can only operate in the Easts region for postal purposes , and for RENTAL, as many touroperators/agencies rent their buses for transfering their clients, and for ground transportation for excursions.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

Thank you so much for the help! I will just plan on turning up at that station at Juan Sánchez Ramirez #31 and catching one of those buses. It will be a Sunday, but you said that schedule runs every day so hopefully I'll be fine!

Just to clarify, the Sitrabapu bus stop - is this the stop that they make for 15 minutes on the way to Punta Cana?

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

Yes, the Sitrabapu bus stop is where they stop for 15 minutes to pick up some more passangers from Higuey.

Here you can get off the bus to go to the toilet or to buy some food or drinks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get to Punta Cana from SDQ?

There are boards at the bus station with the destinations and departure times. I do recall that Caribe had an on-line schedule, however I don't know if it was accurate, Getting on the correct bus can be a bit of a challenge. We just kept asking and eventually someone came and got us and put us on the right bus. Double check with the driver when you get on.