We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
162 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

I'm thinking of spending 4 or 5 days in DR, but can't decide where to go. I've narrowed it down to Punta Cana and Santo Domingo (because that's where housing will be available).

I'd like to spend some time on the beach but also explore other things that the city has to offer, such as historical and cultural sites, restaurants, etc. Which would be a better choice for something like this?

Also, how easy is it to get around the city and the island?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

I would recommend staying at Boca Chica, a beach town east of the city, or in the corridor between Santo Domingo and San Pedro de Macoris, that way yu'll have easier access to the cultural sites in the city. The Colonial Zone is in the east side and there's easy access from Las Americas highway. There are no good beaches in the city proper.

Boca Chica is closer to the city that the beaches outside San Pedro but it can get very crowded and there are less choices of hotels.

Good luck,

Joel

Mentioned in this post
Boca Chica
Boca Chica
1,059 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Las Americas Airport
Las Americas Airport
Dominican Republic
Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

Given its size and infrastructure, It's not particularly easy to get around the whole island. Unless you have a car, you may find it difficult to go even from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo, and even then you'd need some knowledge of the local roads.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

I suppose living in Santo Domingo I find it slightly less interesting than someone visiting, but even from that side of things there is very little to fill a full day in around Santo Domingo, but saying that what I find enjoyable is not what you may find enjoyable. Fly into SDQ spend the night and afternoon in the city, see the sights and then peg it over to PC for some real holiday. Santo Domingo is to much like hard work to be called a vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Las Americas Airport
Las Americas Airport
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

Firstly, I would NOT stay in Boca Chica. If you are going to stay at the beach somewhere near the city, I would choose JUAN DOLIO, it is a world of difference, Boca Chica has become very dirty, I got sick swimming in the water there because all the kids pee and even poop in the water! Secondly- you can stay in Santo Domingo for maybe 2 nights and 3 days, then take the Bavaro Express (Bavaro and Punta Cana are literally the same place) for only 300 pesos and stay in Punta Cana- you can rent a room not far from the beach, but the best thing is to probably check in early to an all-inclusive resort, like Bavaro Princess, there are both singles and families, and with one night paid, you receive lunch, dinner, the next morning you get breakfast, lunch, and you can check out and leave your bags at the reception and even get dinner to after enjoying a full day at the beach, so the meals make it totally worth it, and the people there are cool

Mentioned in this post
Boca Chica
Boca Chica
1,059 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
michigan
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

From your post it looks like there is the Bavaro express to get from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana. we are looking to do that as we fly into Santo Domingo and want to get to Punta Cana. Can you give me more info on this transportation. Does it leave from the airport, and how long does it take?

Thanks, Milton 62

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

To stay in Boca Chica would be mad, it is a dump, dirty and full of a certain type of tourist, obviously this brings a certain type of girl, the two mix and this doesn't leave a very nice environment to find yourself if this is not what you are looking for.

You can fly from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana for between $60 and $100us, it takes 35minutes, by road will take much much longer, so will depend on how long your inflight is to if you can be bothered with the extra haul up to PC. I drove it in the car the other day, the road is much better than it was but it still took 3 hours at over 120km all the way (almost), Look at between two and three times that in the coach. If there is enougb of you then you can get a private shuttle that might work out cheaper, take you to the door of where you are going and have you there in 3 hours, it will cost between $200 and $300us, depends if he has a return trip on. If interested let me know and I'll forward the company detail on to you.

Mentioned in this post
Boca Chica
Boca Chica
1,059 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
7. Re: Santo Domingo vs. Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2011, 07:25