We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santo domingo to la Romana

Which Santo Domingo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
12 posts
Save Topic
Santo domingo to la Romana

I am going to be arriving in Santo Domingo at 5:30 pm on Dec 23rd and then going straight to la Romana. What is the best way to get there? I have heard that the guaguas are one way, but do they leave from the airport or do I need to get into the city?

Illinois
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santo domingo to la Romana

There are no busses at the airport itself. other than that I am not sure. You can get a taxi at the airport but it may be pricey.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santo domingo to la Romana

You can get to Boca Chica and get a bus from the highway meaning you don't have to go to the city first, but I think the 5:30 p.m. thing will be your enemy. That doesn't give you a lot of time for a busride to La Romana first and then to Bayahibe. I recall that the buses leave earlier in the day from Santo Domingo to go further than La Romana by day's end. Once you transfer from airport to bus to local bus or cab to take you to Bayahibe, that's a lot of work for saving some money if that's your goal. A cab would be just over $100 one way which is more than the public bus for sure but compared to the alternatives, I think it makes sense. Hurry up and get to your hotel to settle in and start your vacation with a drink and a good meal by 9 p.m.!

Kaki

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santo domingo to la Romana

Hi

You can take a bus from the highway which is just 5 min drive from the airport. To get to the highway you need to take a taxi. At the time you arrive is not safe any more to be standing in the middle of the road with suitcases for the bus, it is very likely that you get mugged in that area.

Also where in La Romana are you going to? La Romana is not safe to walk around at night. You would need to get a taxi as the bus would leave in your hotel.

My recommendation is like Kaki suggested, get a taxi straight to your destination. I dont think it is worth it to stay in any nearby hotel by the airport or by Boca Chica. You will waist time and you wont save that much money if you end up paying for a hotel and couple of taxis

4. Re: Santo domingo to la Romana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 05:17