We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Length of Stay: Santo Domingo / recommendations

Which Santo Domingo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Length of Stay: Santo Domingo / recommendations

Hi - I am traveling to DR in early April and will be in the country for 9 nights. I am landing in Santiago, renting a car for the entire duration of the trip and returning it to the Santo Domingo airport before flying back.

Would appreciate your help with a few questions:

1. I want to spend my time between Cabarete, Las Terennas and Santo Domingo. How many nights would you recommend I spend at each place?

2. Please recommend any boutique hotels (no all-inclusives or large resorts), good local restaurants and must-see or must-do activities in or around the north coast / Samana peninsula and Santo Domingo.

3. Is it better to stay in Santo Domingo or outside the city - i.e. are there more desirable places to stay outside and then use the rental car to come visit zona colonial and other spots during the day (I am a good driver and can manage any driving conditions)?

4. Besides Zona Colonial and Alcazar de Colon, are there other attractions in Santo Domingo - would spending just one night in or near the city be enough?

Thanks and look forward to any suggestions.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 15:47
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Length of Stay: Santo Domingo / recommendations

Lots of questions. My thoughts:

1)Cabarete 4 nights, Las Terenas 5 nights, Santo zero.

2)Cabarete is full of them as is LT, In LT I love Playa Colibri. check orbitz or the other posts for more.

3)Santo Domingo is a large city and driving will be bad for your health and pocketbook. I pass through it and go on elsewhere.

4)If you have to see Santo Domingo yes they are the hot spots and the malecon area. Cabarete and Las T are much much better times.

The beaches and the life on the north coast are a much better vacation than a big city with heavy traffic and crazy drivers. Santiago is a much better place to spend a day.

new york
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Length of Stay: Santo Domingo / recommendations

Thanks a lot for your response. I was thinking Santo Domingo would be the "cultural" part of the trip, seeing historical artificats from the time of Christopher Columbus. But I'll reconsider....

What would you recommend seeing / doing in Santiago if we spend a night there?

Illinois
Level Contributor
252 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Length of Stay: Santo Domingo / recommendations

If you are going a would suggest some time in the capital. I like staying in the Colonial Zone, there are many smaller hotels with local charm. There is historical significance in Santo Domingo which you won't find anywhere else. You can also get a feel for the cultural away from the usual tourist places.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Length of Stay: Santo Domingo / recommendations

museum centro leon in santiago is awesome and you can see alot of dominican tradition there. the capital is nice and vibrant with many historical sites but most are in one area and can be seen in a few hours. you wouldn't catch me driving in SD, however. you may want to stay in a hotel near the airport and take a tour from there to the capital and catch the flight the next day but i would think, as the previous poster said, that more time than this is not needed. enjoy your time in the DR. ben

5. Re: Recommended Length of Stay: Santo Domingo / recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Santo Domingo