We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

Merced, California
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

I am a 45 y/o female taking my 17 year old daughter to the DR in June. I've been to Northern DR before. The plan is to fly into POP for the first week then take a Caribe bus to the Colonial zone for three days. I've been looking at the Hostal Nicholas De Ovando because the history looks so interesting but also the Altaranza Hotel. Any suggestions or others.

I was planning on taking another bus or taxi to Boca Chica for the last two days just to relax on the beach since it is close to the airport. I'm a litle concerned with some of the reviews I've read about Boca Chica. I'm well traveled and I am not one to stay in a resort but am contemplating it in Boca Chica. Is there a better idea for a place to go on the beach that is convenient to the airport or is Boca Chica ok if you stay out of town and off the beach at night. Staying at the hotel the last night isn't that big of a deal but would like to weigh my options. Is there a nice place to stay in Boca chica?

I welcome any hotel, restaurant, and other suggestions. Thank you my fellow TA travelers.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

I never stayed at Nicolas de Ovando, but Atarazana is a very nice small hotel, more like a B&B.

In the same area, I would also recommend Hotel Palacio (a bit more expensive than Atarazana) or Europa Hotel Boutique (less expensive).

In my view, Europa is better located (a block from Plaza Espana and much closer to El Conde than Atarazana). The rooms are a bit nicer but small in Atarazana. Also, in Hotel Europa you need to ask for a room to the back (otherwise you get a lot of street noise -- same in Atarazana).

Forget about going to Boca Chica. Not a place for mother and daugther. Instead, take a bus to Juan Dolio (it's a bit farther east but worth it) or better yet, since you have two nights, go to Bayahibe. It's about 3 hours or so from Santo Domingo, and it's very nice.

Finally, if I could make a suggestion, since you are flying into POP before you go to Santo Domingo, don't take Caribe Tours. Take Metro Bus instead. It's faster, newer buses, cleaner, more comfortable, more cautious drivers (or I should say, less aggressive), and only a few more dollars than Caribe Tours.

Happy travels,

Silvia

Merced, California
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

Sylvia,

Thank you so much for your advice! The things I've been reading seemed to indicate Caribe was an express bus and Metro made many stops so that info was extremely helpful. I also appreciate the info on hotels. That is the exact information I was looking for.

Our main purpose in heading out to the beach is well the beach but also to be closer to the airport. Since Boca Chica is that bad. I'm thinking we may only head to Juan dolio but I am going to look at Bayhibe. What is the best way to get to the airpot as our flight leaves at noon. Any hotel suggestions for the beach places?

Thank you again for your time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

Metro makes fewer stops than Caribe and I agree with Expat it is the better option. The Metro bus station IMO is also an eaiser place to find a taxi than Caribe.

For a change you could take Caribe Tours to Barahona for a couple of days on the SW coast - try Casa Bonita.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

Bayahibe to Santo Domingo airport is a 90 minute drive, buses will take longer as they make many stops along the way.

The most convenient way is by taxi 100-120 USD one way.

Going by bus: guagua or taxi to La romana (30 minutes from Bayahibe) then take bus to Santo Domingo - but I do not know if they stop at the airport or not... Also you will need to leave early to get to the airport by 9 or 10 o'clock.

Merced, California
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. You all have given me so many wonderful ideas, I am contemplating spending less time in the North and spending more time in the South. I have contemplated skipping the North but I have so many fond memories from there. I have looked at the metro site but it is pretty confusing. It looks like there are several station in santo domingo. Does any one know which one is closest to the colonial zone.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

Metro bus station is west of the Colonial Zone, on Ave Winston Churchill close to 27 de Febrero

See this map (the pdf second from bottom "transporte") http://www.dr1guide.com/maps

btw There is Metro Bus and also "Metro Pac" - their courier service - which may be why you are seeing so many addresses in Santo Domingo. And there is also the underground Metro which is shown on most maps.

Metro bus schedule: metroserviciosturisticos.com/rutas_horarios.…

Metro from Santo Domingo only goes north ie not to La Romana.

A useful link explaining bus travel dominicanrepublic-guide.info/getting.around/…

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

Just a note about personal safety. It's unwise to hang around after dark outside any of the capital's bus stations. Should you find yourself arriving after dark ask one of the bus station staff to get you a taxi or publico whilst you wait inside the bus station. Don't wait outside on the street! This applies especially to the Parque Enriquillo bus station north of the Colonial Zone.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

Santo Domingo to Bayahibe - you can take the Expresso Bavaro to La Romana. (see map in previous post)

Merced, California
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

I truly can't thank you enough for your helpful advice.

10. Re: Santo Domingo city and beach suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:52