We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shorts in Santo Domingo city

Which Santo Domingo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Shorts in Santo Domingo city

I read that Dominican men don't generally wear shorts. My husband has some linen pants to wear in the city. Is it also not common for women to wear shorts? What about dressier black knee-length shorts? Would I blend in more to wear a dress if it is too hot to wear jeans?

I'd like to avoid looking like an American tourist and blend in as much as possible.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,859 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

You won't have a problem blending in as many others wear shorts. Yes as you mention it most Dominican men do wear long pants but wear what you are comfortable in during the heat of the day. At night I would definitely wear long pants and no sandles or flip flops. I've been denied entrance to night clubs without proper footwear and long pants.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

Sandals in nightclubs are not appropriate for women as well?

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

Shorts are ok.. The thing that makes tourists standout would be more the socks in the sandals, the so called Hawaii shirts, the caps from touristist destination and tshirts from hard rock cafe etc.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

Hahaha. We're not those kind of tourists. Ew.

I thought socks and sandals only happened in the Pacific Northwest USA. Funny.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

If you intend to visit the cathdral and similar sites may be better to wear a dress.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

I learned long ago that no matter what you wear you will be made as a foreign tourist from a mile away anyway. Long pants, shorts, whatever. So you might as well be comfortable. ( I would however dress up a little more at night than I would at home). Yes it's true you will rarely see Dominican men wearing shorts unless they are a few steps from the beach. But the heat is so stifling to those not used to it. I could not imagine wearing jeans in that daytime heat (maybe some light khaki pants) I am just not used to it. (even living in Florida)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

Most men both locals and touiests alike wear long pants in the city. We are here now and 90% or more of the tourists are in long pants. All of the local men are, I am as we are spending a few days here showing our friends visiting from the US the Colonial Zone. Women are nin dresses or long pants and many, including my better half, are also wearing capris.

IF planning on visiting the churches women myst have there arms covered, so no sleevless bouses.

BObK

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

you can't beat a pair of good linen pants for hot and sweaty weather, they 'breathe'!!!!! Trust me on that one, better than shorts or a dress:)!!!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

Thanks everyone! I'll plan on wearing a dress and bringing along a cardigan sweater to put in if we go to a church. My husband's linen pants should be fine during the day and slacks at night.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Shorts in Santo Domingo city

btw cleavage it seems is ok, in fact the more the better - as long as you've covered your arms. Honestly the amount of cleavage on show from all ages is amazing! Also skin tight skinny jeans (no matter what your figure is like) is also acceptable.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 00:28
Get answers to your questions about Santo Domingo