We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
736 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

Hi, Friends -

I'm heading to the Dominican Republic during the second week of May, and I'll be spending the entire time in Santo Domingo. Yes, I realize that's probably too much time in SD, but I usually like to spend a few days in one place and get a "feel" for the location.

Anyway, here are a couple of questions that I'm hoping you folks can help me with:

1) I'm planning on taking US dollars and exchanging them for pesos at a bank in the Zona Colonial. Will I receive the best exchange rate at a bank? Is the currency exchange process typical of other countries: Present a passport and tell the agent your hotel?

2) Where can I find the best deals on amber and larimar souvenirs? I know that there are amber and larimar museums in SD that sell souvenirs, but I'm guessing they also have high prices on their items because of the tourists.

3) I am 38, Caucasian, single, and plan on traveling to SD solo. I'm guessing that the ladies in SD will find me, and that I won't have to go looking for them? :-) LOL

Thanks for your advice!

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

Bank is safer to exchange money than on the streets.. For sure a better rate than at the airport. You can pay the taxi from the airport with US dollars thought. Hmm nope they did not ask me anything when I exchanfed dollars. I also did not have to show a ID.

Well the girls that are looking for you might not be the girls you are after.. (at least I was not).

I dont know if you speak spanish cause I didnt meet many girls who spoke English or they prefer you to speak spanish (mind you that most of them do understand English). Otherwise it easy to start a conversation with the ladies there but treat them with respect.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

1) Banks or at a Money store such as Western Union or Caribe Express is where you will get the best exchange and yes they look at your passport.

2) Don't know, I buy it from a friend in Cabarete.

3) Correct

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
736 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

@Curtraveller and RV429:

Thanks. The official exchange rate from oanda.com shows $1 = 40.56 DOP. I'm guessing banks in Santo Domingo stick to that rate pretty closely? I've also heard that the bigger the USD bills you exchange, the better your exchange rate will be...True?

Yes, I do speak Spanish...Kinda necessary here in South Texas :-) And I'm aware of the health concerns among DR ladies...I'll be prepared.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

Exchange at our bank (with an account) was 41.05 yesterday. Without an account was 40.95

BObK

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
736 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

@ B0bK:

Is there a daily or weekly exchange limit? I was limited to exchanging $200 a week in my recent trip to Guatemala.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

At a bank or Cambio (exchange house) usually no limit but if so you will have no problem cashing up to $1000.

BObK

7. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 18:35
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

LeandroD809

Still self promoting????? Not allowed!!!!

And actually I exchange at my bank here at a rate better than the combios, and Caribe tours, will have a better rate than most of the exchange cambios.

BObK

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

I exchanged at the airport SDQ and didn't have any issues it was 1USD=41RDP.

10. Re: Santo Domingo: Money and Amber/Larimar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 06:18