We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time spent at Zona Colonial

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Topic
Time spent at Zona Colonial

I'm wondering how much time I will need to see all of Zona Colonial? Would it take half the day? I'm thinking of going to Tres Ojos (The Park of Three eyes of Water) before I head off to see Zona Colonial. Is that possible o do both in one day?

Mentioned in this post
Zona Colonial
Zona Colonial
2,575 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time spent at Zona Colonial

I thought you asked this question yesterday. If it was some one else I apologize. But to see the colonial zone you will need at least a day and a half or more. A half a day you will not see much.

BObK

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
237 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time spent at Zona Colonial

Yes, it is absolutely possible to see both in the same day. You will probably spend about 30 min (no more) at Los Tres Ojos and Zona Colonial should not take more than a few hours. You can walk around the small streets to see the different buildings, ruins and of course the cathedral, el Conde (the shopping street). There are plenty of cafes and places to eat and drink. It is a very nice place and safe to walk around. If you wanted to have a tour guide, you can usually find them in front of the church where the official guides hang out and offer tourists their services. Please note that in order to enter the cathedral you should not wear anything too short or sleeveless.

Mentioned in this post
Zona Colonial
Zona Colonial
2,575 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time spent at Zona Colonial

Wow there is no way I can see the Colonial Zone in half a day. Just the Columbus palace and the history museum will take the whole morning or afternoon.

I stand by if you really want to see (and learn some history) the zone and not just walk through it and take some pictures and buy some tourist Souvenirs than you will need more than a day.

BObK

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Time spent at Zona Colonial

Thank you both for replying. Also do either of you both know how far tres Ojos is from Zona colonial?

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Time spent at Zona Colonial

Thank you both for replying. Also do either of you both know how far tres Ojos is from Zona colonial?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time spent at Zona Colonial

Sorry can't help you there

BObK

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time spent at Zona Colonial

Tres Ojos is on the road out to the airport. Travel times will be dependent on congestion but probably no more than 15-20 minutes from the Zona Colonial by taxi. As I said before IMO it is not really worth the effort but may be of interest to you. IMO Museum of Dominican Man in the culture park in Gazcue (off Maximo Gomez) is worth seeing.

Time needed to "do" the Zona Colonial is very subjective. I could spend days wandering round there! Also worth saying that on Sunday the area is much quieter - have a coffee and breakfast at Hotel Conde (corner El Conde and Merino in cathedral square) - great for people watching - this could take at least a couple of hours!

Mentioned in this post
Zona Colonial
Zona Colonial
2,575 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Gazcue
Gazcue
26 Reviews
Dominican Republic
8. Re: Time spent at Zona Colonial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 06:20