We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

Just used my air miles and booked air tix to Puerto Plata for me, wife, and 5 year old boy and 2 year old girl from April 23-30. But we dont have a hotel booked yet .....help !

What is a nice resort with a good kids club, calm clean beach and good food ? My budget is between $100-$200 a night all inclusive for all 4. From a quick look at the forums here, it looks like Iberostar Costa Dorada, Riu Bachata/Merengue/Mambo and Coral Marien may be good ones....

Also, any recommended activities in Puerto Plata ?

Your help is appreciated.

New York
Level Contributor
265 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

If you can afford Iberostar I would definately go. I stayed at IB Punta Cana two years in a row. All Iberostars are great. Food is the same at all of them. Service is excellent. Kids club is great. The shows for the kids are good too. I travelled w/ my two toddlers. Although they were not old enough at the time for the kids club I still was able to sit w/ them and do activities at the club for a change of pace. The IB in PC has a really nice outdoor play area. Pirate ship in the sand. I'm sure the one in PP is nice too. I would love to visit an IB this year but its pricing a little high for me w/ air. I'm booking the coral marien this year.

new jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

Thanks for your response. Yes the Iberostar is pricing at about $2k just for the hotel for a week for the 4 of us....that is high. Coral Marien is booked already for the week I am going. looks like the Riu's for me. Not really happy about that.

Arnprior
Level Contributor
731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

I noticed that you said you were disappointed with having to settle for a Riu property.

You shouldn't be! You get to use all three properites!

I have been there 4 times, taken my youngest twice.

We stay at the Mambo, it is our favorite of the three.

She participated in the kids club both times and had a ball. Didn't see her all day.

I will give you this little bit of advice.

We were there at the beginning of February and I noticed that the staff doing the kids club at the Merengue are the originals from the Mambo, DeeDee especially is wonderful!

So although the Mambo is my favorite hotel, try and book the Merengue for the kids. If you can't get it, book the Mambo and take them over there in the morning, like I said, you have access to all three hotels.

Enjoy! If you stay at the Merengue, the head of the animation team is wonderful, you will enjoy his company, if you stay at the Mambo, they have a wonderful staff also!!

New York
Level Contributor
265 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

Good to hear about the RIU's. I told my husband this is a good place to go. I have two toddlers. I'll try them next year.

5. Re: Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2007, 15:01
new jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

Well, my agent insisted on the Bachata so I gave in....had not read your posts by then. So I think we will stay at the Bachata but spend out time near the Merengue or the Mambo wherever the kids club looks better. After 3 days at the Riu, we have next 4 at the Coral Marien......I thought I might was well do 2 resorts. Looking forward to it and will post reviews later of both places. Thanks all.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

try holiday golden village, when we were booking i almost stayed there until my travel agent sent me a review from another girl in the office and is defianly a family resort

new jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best resort in Puerto Plata for kids

Ended up staying 3 days at the Riu Bachata and 4 at Coral Marien. Both are excellent....but I liked Coral Marien a little more. Can not go wrong either way so enjoy whoever is going !