We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

My girlfriend and I are headed to the Bachata in Jan.

I have read reviews that the food it it's weak point and there have been a few reports of food poisoning.

Anyone been there recently Sept,Oct,Nov,Dec 2017 and can comment on the food...?

How is rest of resort...rooms clean etc.

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

Don't worry about the reviews of food poisoning...it really wouldn't matter once it coms to your stay what happened at one meal, 3mths ago. If it even did happen at all.

Food is ok. Never had an issue with it, but depends on your previous experiences and travels south I suppose.

Rooms were always clean as was the whole resort when we were there. No complaints, was a good time and usually a reasonable price for what you are getting.

London, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

Fabulous hotel don’t be put off by the negatives reviews we loved this hotel and no one out of our party off 14 didn’t have any stomach problems quite often it’s down to alcohol and lack of hand washing go and enjoy

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

Watch the chicken..my son went and it was raw inside

South Porcupine...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

It,s a good idea to stay away from salads at any eating establishments. The water isn’t the cleanest and you really don,t know what your salad was washed in.

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

You have to watch what you eat no matter where you go. Just try not to have to much variety of food at one time.

orangeville, ontario
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

BigBore, Don't worry about food prep. All vegetables including salad greens are washed in filtered water at all resorts and ice cubes also are made from filtered water. The resorts have quality control managers whose job it is to check on food safety and this is checked on regular basis.

Best not to even brush your teeth with tap water.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,190 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

Salads at the resorts are fine. All are prepared with purified water

BObK

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

Pete and I went to the Riu Bachata 2 years in a row 2016/17 and each year Pete was sick. Last year he had to go to there on-site hospital for treatment. Lucky we have international coverage from work so it did not cost us $$$s. When he got home he was diagnosed as having a strep infection. That is not the only problem Pete lost at least 5 days of his vacation and was sick for a week after coming home. In 2016 I did not think I was going to get him home safe from Pearson without calling an ambulance. We loved the resort, lost of good food, great rooms, nice beach but after looking at reviews after coming home there is something going around in that resort, Don't know where we would have gone this year if the VH Atmosphere had not opened, I was content to stay at home rather than go through that again with my 78 year old husband. Friends of ours have been going for 4 years and have had no problem at ll. So I don't know what to say about the Riu Bachata and the illness that seems to be going around in that resort for a few years.

ruthie

South Porcupine...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

I will stick to my assumption that the water might be tainted at this place off and on considering the number of complaints. Yes you two we all know that the resorts are perfect and have perfectly beautiful drinking water. REALLY! Give your heads a shake. Stuff happens believe it or not and u bob k should know better having been living there for a bit. Ddg gets a pass as she is in her own little world. I personally would avoid any water involved food in this place and have otherwise a great time.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,190 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining

I should know better than what?????????????????

BObK

Reply to: Riu Bachata-Food and Food Poisining
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata