We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Bridgend S.Wales
Level Contributor
188 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

Just a brief word to the wise!

The North coast of the Dom Rep is not in the Carribbean, it is on the Atlantic, if you want to swim in the warm waters of the Carribbean you must go to the south coast, I won a court case against Thomas Cook on this very fact to the tune of £2200.

Fore-armed is fore-warned

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

so i take it you didn't enjoy your holiday!

LONDON
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

What are you talking about mate, if that was the case Thomas Cook would be out of business.

In the Dominican Republic you have two sides. One side on the Atlantic sea and the other on the Caribbean sea hence the difference in the colour of the water and sometimes the temperature.

The Dominican Reppublic is in the Caribbean and by the way that not the way to spell CARIBBEAN.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

oh brother.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

Being "in the Caribbean" and "on the Caribbean" are two different things when it comes to general word usage.

Kaki

hampshire.U.K
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

Just a brief word to the wise!

Well brentf, I guess the wise would already know that the North of Dom Rep is on the Atlantic side of this caribbean island.

Brentf surely you did not expect anything less than the responses you have received so far ?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

I'm betting that there is more to the story than a misrepresentation of which water you are dipping your toes into...

IMHO most learned judges would hold that the average traveler should know that North is North and South is South...

How about your civil case information so we can look up the case for ourselves and see who misrepresented what?

Gregg

canada
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

as someone in the legal profession..I find it very hard to believe that this person won a lawsuit. All travel books from the airlines show maps...it is very obvious that the DR is surrounded by both the Caribbean AND the atlantic...thus making it a caribbean country.

Lynn

Connecticut
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

Ahhhhhhh, the internet.....

A vast web of knowledge sometimes permeated by the incredibly foolish.....

I ordered French Toast at an American diner.....

When I found that the breakfast I was served was neither actually made in France, nor did it constitute what Americans consider toast (toasted bread, sometimes served with butter or jam) I won a court case against the diner owner for a cool million dollars.

Two years later, I successfully sued McDonalds for seven million dollars when I discovered that their French Fries were not actually French.

I was awarded fifteen million for puchasing roller blades that actually didn't have a blade at all.

I guess this is one of those people who want to be the stone that's dropped into the pond and see how far the ripples can travel.

I'd like to discuss this further, but I have to start getting ready for my trip next week. I'm traveling to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic...which actually is in the Caribbean. On the Atlantic. Not the Caribbean. The Atlantic. If this isn't the case, I'll sue Rand McNally himself. And maybe Travelocity, Tripadvisor, DebbiesDominicanTravel and all of you.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

Oh, yeah....by the way, the idiom is actually....

"Fore-warned is fore-warned" not the other way around.

Look it up for yourself here:

www.bartleby.com/59/3/forewarnedis.html

Maybe you could have looked this up and, while (whilst for all you UK'ers) you were at it, taken two minutes to google up a map of the Caribbean as well.....

Cheers all!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dom Rep north coast NOT the Carribbean

Let me correct my own typo.....maybe I ought to sue myself for this...

Oh, yeah....by the way, the idiom is actually....

"Fore-warned is fore-armed" not the other way around.

Look it up for yourself here:

www.bartleby.com/59/3/forewarnedis.html

Maybe you could have looked this up and, while (whilst for all you UK'ers) you were at it, taken two minutes to google up a map of the Caribbean as well.....

Cheers all!