We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What To Do!?!

Brighton UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
What To Do!?!

Just wondering what is the best excursions to go and where would the best place to swim with dolphins or other sea faring creatures?! Any especially bad or good?

Also Im looking to do some diving/snorkelling where is good/clear or is all the sea clear around the island?

Is the Jeep safari worth it??

Also heard a few reports of theft from hotel rooms. Anyone had any good/bad experiences?

What are the sellers like pushy/ok?

At the airport do you get those people who will push your luggage for a price? Are they pushy?

My fiancee is worried about pushy people and beggars. (Had a bad time in Egypt with this kind of thing)

Any input would be apprieciated

P.s. No argueing lol

massachusetts
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What To Do!?!

I just went to th Dominican from April 11-15th.. I went on a Catarman tour and went to Ocean world and have a GREAT time on both.. I would recommend both of them to you for snorkeling....

The sellers are VERY pushy but if you tell them you are not interested they will leave you alone.

I had no problems with theft.. I stayed at the Casa Marina and I left some money out for a tip and they didn't take it. You have to write a note letting them know it's for tip but we did use the safe for valuables...

People at the airport were not that pushy.. You would treat them the same as you would the vendors.. Overrall the people are very friendly I would say... No problems there...

New York, NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What To Do!?!

Hi Fishy,

I agree with Sunflower both excusions are the best in POP. No (bad) experience from hotel rooms.

The sellers are extremely pushy! Just give them the "No Gracias" look and you'll be fine. At airport, if you need help with your bags, get one person (hence the word one) to help you. I usually tip $3.00. If you don't require help, make it strongly known., they'll get the message.

Where are you staying? I���ll be in Coral Marien towards the end of May.

P.S. I agree, the previous forum, was taken out of proportion. We are well aware of the problem but we cannot let this affect our trip. Take precaution, and hope things will go well. Which, I'm sure they will. I've been traveling to the DR for quite sometime, and only once did I get sick. Due to the heat and excessive alcohol.

Hope this helped..

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What To Do!?!

Hiya,

Jeep safari was fun my lads loved it!! they'd do it again anytime!!

Catmaran is great too - you get to swim with the fishes over a reef - brilliant like swimming through a tropical fishtank!! Great for topping the tan up too!! LOL

Gokart trak was cheap and free taxi there and back for that was included (but I think based on 2 entering)- look for leaflets around your hotel for that - go on as many times as you want different tracks in there - hours of fun!! Really cheap something like $20 for whole day. (give a small tip to track guys a few pesos - they will take the pin out of throttle and you can whizz by faster LOL). Quadbikes somewhere too I think.

Beach vendors - well funny!!! besides bartering try swapping stuff!! We traded a personal CD player for a stone carved ornament with a few pesos!! Think of things they find expensive there like toiletries, perfumes, footie/rugby shirts even. The vendors love it and do appreciate it in all honesty - just things we take for granted here!! Even downloaded music cd's work cause they'll love them. Just barter the price and try give a few pesos - as they still have a family to feed etc.. - if you are not interested a firm no they do go away!!!

We did see some begging at the side of a coach we were on - it's not a huge problem if you are in a group as all the small gifts do add up for a bigger total?? You will find on a coach trip a few will contribute together. But it's not compulsory to give - you just want to when you see them!!

If you are planning visiting the schools - try squeeze in your case some biros, pencils, sweets etc.. for the kiddies you'll see huge smiles!! Irrisistable honestly.

Have fun out there!!

Liz :0)

Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What To Do!?!

Hi there; Ocean World is fantastic as well. My son & hubby did the Outback Safari,all day things They had a blast.Book with your Rep{ more expensive but worth it } or the Outback is different.I also heard from someone else we met who loved the Jungle Safari.If you want to you can take a cab to Sosua beach.It's lovely.Make sure you settle on a price before you get in and only pay when you return to your resort.Be prepared to barter if you go to Sosua.There are a lot of shops and every one wants you to visit theirs.Looky, Looky, Cheapy, Cheapy!!!Just remember they are trying to make a living as well. If you let them take you luggage at the airport just tip them,we needed some help ,they were great.A couple of dollars is fine.Just have it in your pocket before you leave .Just in case.Remember NO GRACIOUS!!!!! Have a great trip!

Raymore, Sask...
Level Contributor
599 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What To Do!?!

Check out the thread of Travellinfool.

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What To Do!?!

Hi Fishy

Monster truck was awesome, really see the true country very fun packed, you visit schools and typical DR house. Although I did not visit Ocean World myself, friends of ours have and said it was truly magical although the price is quite high but apparently worth every penny.

The best trip we did without a doubt was a 6 wheeler experience (go to www.riubambu.com and click on the excursions page in any of the POP resorts). This is basically what looks like a mini tank for 2 to 4 people, you go out for half a day in convoy past sugar cane fields, a place to swim, a school, come back filthy dirty, but absolutely fabulous fun.

We did the catamaran trip which is a lovely day especially if you love snorkelling, but was not much fun for my husband who has problems with his ears and balance and so could not go in the water and felt sick for most of the day. Also the rum starts flowing as soon as you leave Playa Dorada beach until you return at about 4pm in the afternoon. Not to say you have to participate but a lot of people do so be prepared for a boozy day.

The guys at the airport are in green shirts and will try to grab your luggage but as many have already said a no thanks in any language surfices. Depending on what tour operator you are travelling with porters will accompany you to the hotel and it is customary to tip them a couple of dollars which we found no problem.

Beach vendors can be a bit pushy, which to be honest does put me off a bit, it sounds like your fiancee is the same. I think that's just down to our own personalities, I feel uncomfortable however my mother in law would thrive on it and we would have to drag her away (LOL). However again a firm no thank you is enough

Hope you have fun. Let us know what you decide.

Sara

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What To Do!?!

I've posted this link on travellinfool's post too, I hope its helpful

riubambu.com/RIU_WEB_PAGES/MENU/PEURTO_PLATA…

Sara

egypt
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What To Do!?!

try this web you will find tour program and picks &information about Egypt may it helping you

http://soha.egypt.tripod.com

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What To Do!?!

Hiya Herefishyfishy,

I just thought I would alert you to a posting on the "confused and worried" Nimble's thread!!

I am not sure whether you'd still be reading that thread or given up on it cause of all the verbal abuse by some!!!

We have had a guy come on Bob2222 - really informative stuff I thought you'd be really interested in what he has to say. It is really interesting stuff.

Take care Liz :-)

Brighton UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What To Do!?!

Those 6 wheelers look amazing!! Cheers Poppygreendog!

Thanks to everyone who's contributed. I want to do everything!! AAAHHH! I need more money!! Dam NHS pay!