We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

Mansfield, England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

yes due to go on the 22nd and and can't get out of it so will be tui guinea pigs. For medical experiments you usually get paid not pay to be in them. Loose ��2300 + costs or risk health of my family including 10 year old. Tickets arrived today. Why wont they let me change.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

Kate if you're that concerned why don't you fake an illness, or something? I know it doesn't sound too ethical, but I would if I was that worried. Do you have a trip cancellation insurance?

And really 2,300 bucks is nothing when it comes to your family's health, I am sure Lizzy and others wouldn't mind paying that to get rid of their problems.

Don't worry, I'm not being a troll (lol!!), this is a sincere comment.

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

Kate

Many won't believe that I'm gonna say this (LOL, not sarcastic honestly). I have just read the last reviews for the Bachata and its all good news. If the sickness has gone this is a wonderful hotel and an experience you will never forget. Staff, food, facilities all magical. The hotel has been closed to UK visitors for over 2 weeks now. I hope that the sickness is now under control.

I hope you have a great time

Sara

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

Hiya Kate,

I can only echo what both Bellasky and Poppygreendog are saying!!

Trust me Bellasky is perfectly right - one part of me would be wanting to "whimp out" invent an excuse - because I now know how poorly this illness can make you if you unfortunately get it. As Bellasky says if I was worried I wouldn't want to risk something as horrible as this - the ordinary travellers tum - yes that's no problem - immodium and carry on no more said.

But Sara has a point also in that there has been closure and in all honesty risks should be much lower. The issues are not as you've read about the hotels - they are great and so is the DR - it truly is a spectacular experience to have had!!! The people are great too!!! So the other part of me would want to go and enjoy myself!!! With the knowledge you have now you can go better prepared and take your own precautions to lessen risk.

I know exactly how you are feeling - and I don't think any of us can weigh it up for you - I am sure we'd all feel the same as you do.

Kate I wish you luck with what ever you decide.

Liz

Thamesford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

kate-don't know if it's available in UK or not but see if you can get some grapefruit seed extract at a health store. It is advertised as having anti viral, anti yeast, anti parasitic, anti worms and anti bacterial properties. We're definitely going to try it out on our next trip. Others have said oil of oregano does the same thing-might be worth a try. In the brochure I have it mentions to supplement with acidophilus to replace the good bacteria if diarrhea is a problem. If you still end up having to go there, we all hope for the best for you.

wakefield,england
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

hi kate we r going on 15th may to bachata thomsons wont let me change either without paying 400.00 to go to other side ov island they said i can only change if they contact me and then it could be within 2 days to go but the problem ive got is i dont want to go to another hotel in the north although the iberostar costa dorada is very nice. ive picked the sunscape punta cana grand but if i change on my own accord they want to charge me admin fees plus all the extras which ive argued the point with them today and got nowhere because ive had it priced up with thomsons late deals and it would only be 100.00 more but the service centre wont honour it so im stuck just like you i hate the idea ov being the first people back in there plus u dont no wether its beeb closed or not theres still reports in trip advisor with people coming back ie 25th they told me yesterday it had been closed for 2 weeks confusing or there lying.

Mansfield, England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

Thanks your reviews are helpful. i just hope that they get this hotel back on track. Bellasky not a bad idea but I am such a bad liar!!!!! my partner is a coeliac i.e cant eat gluten in things such as flour so novovirus can in some cases cause ibs which would be more serious for him, also I am allergic to a lot of medicines ( possibly something they use as a mixing agent as there are so many)so apart from my tyroxine which i have to take I avoid them. All taking multi vits as well as anything suggested I will look out for the grapefruit thing as I am concerned as I have never taken any medicines for upset stomachs, and when I react I cant take anti histamines as I react to them. Apart from that we will go ....I think as long as healthy.

Mansfield, England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

Sabbsby they will lie.

Friday , tummy bug overhyped internet rumours

Saturday Yes our bosses are in a meeting, there is a problem ring back tomorrow.

I want to go to the Iberostar as my partner went there last year he said it was excellent. I offered to pay part of the cost of the change and got a big fat no.

Oh for fun, let them know you have a memo button on your phone and you are recording the conversation.

Mansfield, England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

Bellasky your right, but no refund no other holiday 2300 is pounds stirling.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

to:poppygreendog

I have to respectfully disagree with you that Riu is magical place, I traveled frequently to their hotels, just for rest and relaxation till last year and I did not find anything magical about

that place, it is good vacation for the money if you do not get ill.

Yes the staff is very nice but that Dominican people nature, everything else is just average. But for the money I paid I knew what I am getting. There no magic in Dominican Republic.

Mentioned in this post
north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help rui bachata booked for 22nd May

Kate & Shabbsby,

Have either if you tried to contact the hotel by telephone to find out what is going on?? It's just that Bellasky wrote on a thread to me yesterday that she thinks they are still sending people from over there (usa/canada??) - she thinks they have just stopped sending panic stricken Brits?? I know the papers here have written different story - but do we know it's true??

Might be worth a phone call to hotel to see if you can throw light on that perhaps?? Might find out whether closure took place??

The only other thing I can suggest is whether you phone ABTA or holidaytravelwatch and seek their advice ?? Maybe they have an answer that we haven't thought of - or your own travel insurance people if you have annual insurance rather than just the trip cover??

I know what you say Kate about lying - I couldn't lie in all honesty!!! But maybe one part of me would think to hell with it after the way my TO has been with me?? Difficult isn't it??

I hope you get answers to help you!!

Liz

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America