We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

I have heard from a reliable (travel trade) source, that following the withdrawal of Thomsons customers - The RIU complex is now to close to all guests (i.e all TO's) on the 8th June.

We are intending to travel independantly to the resort Tomorrow (3rd June)

Any news to confirm or deny this report would be welcome.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

Since I know for a fact that one of our posters from another board just arrived yesterday for a two week stay at the Riu complex in Puerto Plata (I will admit that I am not sure which actual resort, however) I am a bit skeptical about this - but we will see.

Over the past number of months the closure of the Riu complex in POP has been reported here at least three or four times and each time it has proven to be a false claim.

Time will tell.

Gregg

uk
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

Do you mean for a short period of time or permanently? We are booked to go there next year.

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

Thanks for the reply Gregg - I am able to confirm that this report came from a Thomsons (UK) representitive. We have had our Thomsons trip cancelled by them - and they have been unable to re-allocate us to date. We accepted the view from the hotel itself that there was no longer a serious problem and that the sickness issue was on the wane. I have always believed that reports/posts can often be 'over-stated'. On this basis we decided to be our own judge and book independantly - which we did (via the RIU central call centre in the USA) and have had confirmation of our booking (June 3 - 17). However after calling and e-mailing the call centre today to check the facts - there has been a worrying silence!!

After 3 months of worry we have now run out of time. We will travel to the DR tomorrow but don't know what we will find!!

It was ment to be my Wife's 40th birthday present - We are NOT happy ..... but hope for the best.

I'll keep you posted if I can. Thanks again for your posts. If you find out anything in the next few hours let me know - cheers!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

ringo: I share Gregg's skepticism. I just plugged in some travel dates at www.sellofvacations.com, and found that Sunquest is booking guests at all three Riu POP hotels for June 12 arrivals from Toronto and June 10 arrivals from Montreal. If they're closing, someone forgot to tell Sunquest.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

Its strange how suddenly Tripsavisor site seems smaller with regard to info, coming from the Riu's. On british sites all info. seems to have dried up. Most of our TO's are not sending people there at present. A friend of mine due to travel, 16th July has been told by Thomson that no decision will be made until the end of June and they are not sending guests there before that date. Are Sunquest now sending guests there? Someone must have a friend who has been recently, anyone who knows anyone must encourage them to post, on this brilliant site.

I had a wonderful holiday at the Bachata in February and would love to go back there........just a few positive reviews or answers to the mystery illness and I will be booking a return visit.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

42ringo,

Best of luck with your trip.

Just a FYI...

Some of the earlier errant information was reported as having come from Thompson's also. When you know for sure please let us know the status.

Thanks.

Gregg

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

Thanks Gregg; FYI The Thomsons davice came to me directly today form our named "Thomsons Direct" adviser. (For security reasons I'll not post the details.) - However if we are being given incorrect information by Thomsons there will be all hell to pay.

I am sharpening me complaint pencil even now!!

PS I'll just have to drown myself in Rum when I get there.

PPS Finishing work in 2 hours !!!

42Ringo

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

lppwrth,

Here is a post of mine from another board which was in response to a question about the Daily Mail article - but it also answers your question:

"UK newspapers seem to be about a day late and a dollar short on their information. The "illness" has never (AFAIK) been positively identified (and certainly was never linked to meat) and seems to have finally run it's course. Most recent reports from the Riu complex appear to indicate "no problema". Most Canadian and US TOs, who had suspended sending tourists to the Riu's POP, have now reverted to buisiness as normal and only the UK TOs (who were slow to acknowledge the problem in the first place) continue not sending tourists."

Gregg

P.S. - The article was about Riu Mambo but the picture they used was Riu Merengue. Oh well, I guess close is better than nothing - good try Daily Mail.

9. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 November 2012, 20:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any reliable news please - RIU Merengue to close 8th June?

Rosa3,

You're obviously not trying hard enough to get availability. I've just checked out the Thomson web site and can get availability at all three thru from July to end of year. In fact the Cholchester Lady has revived memories of the great time we had and I've been tempted by two weeks departing 11 July for my birthday. School and a couple of other problems mean that it probably won't happen though.

Thomas Cooks also have plenty of availability.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata