We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newfoundland
12 posts
Save Topic
Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

As we all know the importance of having travell insurance, when I booked my trip to Puerto Plata at the travell agent they offered a package for 260 covers mostly every thing, read the small print you may not be covered if you go off the resort!!However I call up my company that I deal with for personel insurance and they offered travel insurance for a full year of travel for Frequent Travel Package for about 230 taxes in. So before you book call around and find out what coverage is right for your Family or yourself. The best insurance is one you don't use,but you have. Happy vacations

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
599 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

Great advice!! Thanks- Tina

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

There are two components to travel insurance -- trip cancellation and interruption (once you are on route to or at your destination), and medical/accident coverage.<p>The trick is to find a company that will provide both, since the cancellation coverage must usually be purchased when the trip is booked; in some cases, you may have to buy the cancellation insurance from the agent or tour company, and then take the time to scout around for the best medical/accident coverage before departure.

Newfoundland
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

The company I use is Desjardins you can buy some or all,I went with a Multi policy which included cancellation,baggage, emergency health, accident aboard the aircraft, accident while travelling, just call them up the day you book or even the day before you book and you will be covered,Dajardin's # is 1-800-463-7870, or web page is www.dejardinsfinancialsecurity.com., at lease you know if you venture off the resorts then you would be covered may not be so I you buy the insurance from the travell agent it helps to ask questions and as well get it in writting just don't take thier word, ask to look at the policy before you buy it. If it is the one they sell then they should know what is in it. You really don't want to find out you are not covered if something heaven forebid goes wrong. I ben dealing with this company for the last 10 or so years and saved money by doing so and got better coverage.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

Sounds good.

If you are a member of the Shoppers Drug Mart loyalty program (Shoppers Optimum), you are eligible for their complimentary Desjardins 3 day travel insurance plan, with an option to pay for extended coverage.

One thing that I am careful about when buying travel insurance is their disclosure policy for pre-existing conditions, which can be used as a loophole for denying coverage. There was a story in the newspaper a few years back about a Canadian woman who had cut her foot on coral while snorkeling in the Caribbean. The travel insurance claim was denied because she had neglected to indicate that she suffered from asthma -- something that had nothing to do with her injury, but which was enough to allow the company to refuse to cover her injuries.

As the say, forewarned is forearmed.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

Since we travel every year, we took the travel insurance with Mastercard. It covers the same thing as the insurance offered by your travel agent and it only cost $90.00 a year for the both of us.

wirral merseyside
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

Hi

When i booked our holiday the holiday company that we booked with wanted to charge me £230 for 2 adults and 2 children for a long haul holiday.

I had an idea i could get it cheaper, so i had a mouch about on the internet, and for 2 adults and 2 children, i can get insurance for the 4 of us for £41. It pays to shop around.

This is with insure and go, it is a bronze cover and has excess waiver. This covers all the standard stuff like medical and legal exspences, baggage loss theft, holiday cancellation etc. For 2 paying adults the kids are free insurance.

Check it out TravelInsurance.co.uk

sarah merseyside

7. Re: Travel Insurance big savings other than travel agent offers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 21:19