We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata or Punta Cana?

atlanta
Level Contributor
350 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Plata or Punta Cana?

Which do you prefer and why?

I am just beginning to plan a vacation to the DR and don't know where to begin.

Any help is appreciated!

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata or Punta Cana?

punta cana has much nicer beaches (sand wise) and water (caribbean vs atlantic). however we found punta cana to be much more commercialized, almost a bit like mexico. puerto plata is not as hustle and bustle and we found it more of a relaxing vacation. that of course, is just our opinion. everybody will have something different to tell you, so in the end all your research will help you make the right decision. we were in PC in march 2007 and POP in march 2008. if it comes down to price, POP is generally a few hundred dollars cheaper pp. to me, a vacation is what you make it, and anything beats working day in and out. good luck. you WILL make the choice that best suits your wants and needs. have a good holiday.

NY
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata or Punta Cana?

Lovedthesun makes an excellent point about the difference between PP & PC. That has been my experience as well. Having said that, I will be visiting PC again - the Majestic to be exact.

What are you expecting from your holidays - quiet, AO, party, etc? Knowing these answers will help you narrow your choices.

atlanta
Level Contributor
350 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata or Punta Cana?

Nice sandy beaches, pretty water, good food and drinks.

Don't care too much about nightlife (after being in the sun all day with a few adult beverages, we are toast by 10!)

thanks

4. Re: Puerto Plata or Punta Cana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 15:33