We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch

Has anyone flown on the new Monarch Airlines route Monarch from Newcastle to Puerto Plata- Cancun?

What were your experiences of Monarch like? Good/Bad Reviews?

Thanks

L

hampshire uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch

hi L,

I flew a good few years ago with monarch to puerto plata DR, the flight staff were friendly enough but the plane used was a boing 757 which to me was a bit cramped. i dont know what planes they use now im afraid but regardless of the flight just think of the beaches before you get there, it'll be worth it in the end. personally i dont care if it was a cessna prop plane long as i knew what was at the other end waiting! enjoy your hols and dont be put off by the airline.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch

I've done it recently and thought it was a good flight. I'm not one to complain over seating as I do know that I am going on a plane before I book up and and don't expect much a sun lounger until I get there. I'm not sure what some reviewers expect.

Food was nice, but I am a flight meal addict (I could live on them), the staff were friendly and helpful, always busy.

Seemed a very short flight for me, after a 7 hour delay at ncl.

Enjoy

Newcastle
Level Contributor
13 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch

We flew with Monarch at the end of May to DR. We were delayed an hour and a half from Newcastle and 3 hours back from DR. The leg room is ok, however, we booked an extra legroom seat for my husband who is 6"4 and paid £70.00 for it. What they fail to tell you is that extra leg room does not mean extra bum room because the control panel for the entertainment is in the side of the seat. So my husband stood for most of the journey because of the panel digging in his hip.

The aircraft Monarch use is not geared up for long haul flights. The seat pitch is so tiny that your personal space is invaded as soon as someone sits next to you. If you get a middle seat be prepared to spend the whole of the flight with your arms firmly trapped to your sides because if you move you'll be on intimate terms with the passengers either side of you. There are no personal TV's just the ones that flip down from the ceiling and because it's an 8 hour flight lots of people are standing and generally milling around so there are heads in the way of the TV's. I personally wouldn't fly with Monarch again.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch

This is just a question, but what do people want from a flight. I really would like to know what people expect when on a plane with hunderds of other people going on holiday. I'm baffled by this, as I pretty much see one flight the same as another and expect what I normally get, so never feel the need to complain or expect anything else. I have flown all over the world regularly with various airlines but feel I am missing something that alot of people seem to expect. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,678 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch

sportybikebiker, I doubt you flew the Boeing 757 from Newcastle to Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. Distance (as measured on Google Earth) is just short of 4300 miles, and the B757-200 which Monarch fly, has a maximum range of 3885 miles. Below is a link to the performance of the B757-200.

www.airliners.net/aircraft-data/stats.main…

Newcastle
Level Contributor
13 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch

On a eight hour flight, I'd expect some degree of comfort, the ability to be able to move my arms and legs freely and for the flight to take off at the specified time.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch

That is terrible if you were so restricted that you were unable to move your arms and legs, I think had this been the case for me I would also not like to think fly with the airline. Fortunately though my experiences on my many flights have never been that of complete restriction and I look at the flight as a capsule for a short period to my holiday destination, I never expect complete comfort on a flight and so am never disapointed.

Cheers!

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch

bump

co. durham
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch

Returned yesterday on Monarch Newcastle to Puerto Plata flight There were no problems the staff never seemed to stop In flight entertainment was ok if you could see tv but just take a book or magazine you should be fine We had no delays going out and about 10 mins coming home Leg room was ok and they give you pillow and blanket meals were fine

Hope this helps

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch

I've flown Monarch twice, once from Gatwick, once from Newcastle. The Newcastle flight, I thought I was booked with someone else but when I arrived it was listed as 'Monarch on behalf of...'. If I can avoid them, I will, as the worst flights and customer service I've ever had were all Monarch.

To answer scrubmuncher...

"This is just a question, but what do people want from a flight. I really would like to know what people expect when on a plane with hunderds of other people going on holiday. I'm baffled by this, as I pretty much see one flight the same as another and expect what I normally get, so never feel the need to complain or expect anything else. I have flown all over the world regularly with various airlines but feel I am missing something that alot of people seem to expect. Can anyone enlighten me on this?"

Living on the Isle of Man, I have to travel to get to an international departure airport, which is why I've flown from so many different UK airports. The Monarch flight to Puerto Plata from Gatwick was the worst ever, by a long way. To start, the idiot on check in insisted that my laptop was placed in my checked in luggage (a soft suitcase). My total weight for checked & carry on was well below the total allowed but because Monarch have a very small hand luggage allowance he said either my camera gear (£3,000+) or my MacBook (£1,000) had to go in my suitcase! Having just got off an internal flight where it was fine (the rucksack is designed to be the right size for carry on) I wasn't happy, especially when he said it was due to "health & safety" because it was too heavy for the overhead locker (complete B.S. to blame H&S) but it was a check in or don't fly situation. We were then delayed by five hours. Actually, we were delayed by one hour, then another, then by a further three. The contact details for the guy who was picking me up in DR were on my laptop! I told the info bloke this and he said that he'd arrange for my bag to be at the departure gate so I could retrieve the laptop and make a call to tell him about the delay. I arrive at the gate and ask for my bag...

"what bag?"

"my bag, that has been brought here"...

They phoned the info guy who confirmed he'd instructed for it to be taken off, so where was it (where was my laptop?) The snotty flight attendant said 'well we're not holding the flight up any longer'. I asked if she could confirm the bag was on the plane? She said "I'm sure it will be" as she walked away from me. Customer service at it's lowest from the moment I arrived. Fortunately it was on board but I was somewhat anxious for the whole flight. It was working too.

Return flight was an improvement... only four hours delay. I had an onward flight back to the Isle of Man which I had minutes to get to check in for because of the delay. As we were coming on to station I explained this to a stewardess who radioed ahead for my bag to be unloaded as a priority (easily identified, it still had the 'fragile' stickers on from the outbound, even though I had my laptop this time.

It was literally the last bag off.

I had run all the way to the baggage reclaim, excused myself past everyone in the queue for passport control to get there as fast as possible. Check in closed as I got my bag and was 'well closed' by the time I got to the desk. Another five hours before the next flight and under normal circumstances a £110 for a new flight but the Flybe information woman took pity and changed it for free.

I went back to Monarch, not ranting, but not happy. I guess as much as anything I wanted an apology. They might even have given me a meal voucher while I was delayed further? I was explaining to one woman about the sordid journey when her supervisor, without even looking up from what she was doing said 'our duty to you ends when you land here'. Well ... you!!! Not what you say to an already tired & upset passenger!

Having decided never again to fly Monarch I was not pleased to find they were operating the flight out of Newcastle. We checked in but ended up sat away from my wife who was travelling with me on this occasion. Okay, can't be helped... probably... I was asked if I minded having the emergency exit seat? Okay... only once on board did I find that the way the hinges (or the air slide or something) is packed leaves you no where for your legs, except to one side where the next passenger has theirs. This was the most uncomfortable flight I've ever been on and I literally spent most of it stood up because it was too uncomfortable to sit down. At least we were only two hours late taking off on this flight.

The return flight was so uneventful that we felt a one hour delay was pretty good going for Monarch.

So, a short answer is, I expect to be treated like cattle, I expect a period of time when I endure discomfort until I can get off somewhere nice. I view air travel in the same way as I would if I was getting on a bus for nine hours, from Portsmouth to Aberdeen. I don't expect incompetent & rude staff or an average of three hours delay on every flight.

If you have to fly Monarch, good luck, take a long book for the departure lounge!